Bad deals in music.

Discuss all things about music other than Blind Guardian here.
TraneDeracs

Bad deals in music.

#1 Post by TraneDeracs » 23 Oct 2010 18:57

So there I was, a good-hearted stalwart Opeth fan, eagerly anticipating the release of their newest live album entitled "In Live Concert at Royal Albert Hall". Any fan could be looking forward to this, given the heavy hitting set-list, old favorites, and new performances of songs we've never had the chance to hear them play live. Only to have the outrageous pricetag of $39.99 staring me in the face in offering the CD version with the DVD, a DVD only version without the CD itself for $19.99, and the ache that occured whenever I discovered that there ISN'T A CD ONLY VERSION. I personally could care less about the DVD performances being I can just listen to them when I drive, instead of having to wait for the once a month occassion whenever someone else in my household isn't occupying the television and DVD.

I'm not one to usually complain about such small things but this particularly bothers me. Why not give me the option of choosing whether I wanted the CD over the DVD? I shouldn't be forced to pay for a double packaging when the previous two live albums were available on CD.

So I continued to walk around the store, went back to the metal section, then happened to notice that Amorphis also had a live album out. Or so I thought...because it turned out to be another combination package of both CD and DVD. This is when the frustration really hit me.

I understand the need to recoup losses and all but why force fans of a very limited community to buy the DVD and only give them the CD as the ultra expensive choice? Let's say, as in my case, that I don't have frequent access to a DVD player and therefore just wanted to listen to it?

No...I'm not buying a DVD player for my own personal amusement. It costs money and in this case the situation is just begging a download.

Thoughts, fellow rants, criticisms?

Daggor

Re: Bad deals in music.

#2 Post by Daggor » 23 Oct 2010 22:32

TraneDeracs wrote:So there I was, a good-hearted stalwart Opeth fan, eagerly anticipating the release of their newest live album entitled "In Live Concert at Royal Albert Hall". Any fan could be looking forward to this, given the heavy hitting set-list, old favorites, and new performances of songs we've never had the chance to hear them play live. Only to have the outrageous pricetag of $39.99 staring me in the face in offering the CD version with the DVD, a DVD only version without the CD itself for $19.99, and the ache that occured whenever I discovered that there ISN'T A CD ONLY VERSION. I personally could care less about the DVD performances being I can just listen to them when I drive, instead of having to wait for the once a month occassion whenever someone else in my household isn't occupying the television and DVD.

I'm not one to usually complain about such small things but this particularly bothers me. Why not give me the option of choosing whether I wanted the CD over the DVD? I shouldn't be forced to pay for a double packaging when the previous two live albums were available on CD.

So I continued to walk around the store, went back to the metal section, then happened to notice that Amorphis also had a live album out. Or so I thought...because it turned out to be another combination package of both CD and DVD. This is when the frustration really hit me.

I understand the need to recoup losses and all but why force fans of a very limited community to buy the DVD and only give them the CD as the ultra expensive choice? Let's say, as in my case, that I don't have frequent access to a DVD player and therefore just wanted to listen to it?

No...I'm not buying a DVD player for my own personal amusement. It costs money and in this case the situation is just begging a download.

Thoughts, fellow rants, criticisms?
Buy the DVD, and then download the Mp3 files and burn them to a CD.

The Rider Of Rohan

#3 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 Oct 2010 08:54

Yes. It's stuff like this that made us use torrents in the first place.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

t.a.j.

#4 Post by t.a.j. » 24 Oct 2010 09:44

http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

The Rider Of Rohan

#5 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 24 Oct 2010 11:05

To answer your question...
why force fans of a very limited community to buy the DVD and only give them the CD as the ultra expensive choice?
Because they make more money this way. And please not that nobody's forcing you to buy anything. As a punter you have the ultimate choice to walk away from any given deal.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

NDS

#6 Post by NDS » 25 Oct 2010 19:07

You can also watch the DVD on your computer.
To the glory of the fucking Underground!

Under ground is where the true artists roam!

spamel

#7 Post by spamel » 25 Oct 2010 19:40

Download it and stick a massive finger up at the idiots that decided you didn't need an obvious choice. They'll learn!
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#8 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 25 Oct 2010 21:40

i am downloading both dvd's and the audio ...i had forgotten this had already come out,so thanks for the reminder :)

about buying the thing..that's like...totally NOOO,too expensive,i'll support the band by going to the concert next year
(please don't turn this one thread into a huge rant against downloaders)
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢