Collector’s Box

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Blackened

Re: Collector’s Box

#101 Post by Blackened » 01 Feb 2013 12:52

Received my copy yesterday and I must say I got tons of great limited boxes & stuff from all kinds of bands but this
is a real beauty here :D

rain

#102 Post by rain » 01 Feb 2013 13:32

I've got my copy yesterday. Wow, what a package!

The new mix of A night at the opera is absolutely awesome! Especially "Sadly Sings Destiny" and "The Maiden and the Minstrel Knight" sound so great. Thanks BG!

warchanter

#103 Post by warchanter » 01 Feb 2013 16:39

Mine is coming, can't wait to get my hands on it!!! Keep the reviews coming to ease our pain : )

Perse

#104 Post by Perse » 01 Feb 2013 17:59

I'm almost half through it (just finished IFTOS) and I habe to say: I love it :D
There are so many details I haven't noticed before. For example the backings in Tommyknockers (I love it). And I think that especially the acoustic parts and ballads really profit from the new sound.

Traveller in Time

#105 Post by Traveller in Time » 02 Feb 2013 00:53

I really do like the written phrases on the left side of every CD sleeve about each album :)

for example BOF:
"Very special thanks goes out to our families, partners in crime and all the other nice and supportive friends we have met so far on the road of life.
However, most, of all it goes to you, mour most faithful and loyal bard, who is brave enough to walk this road with us one more time. There is a lot to (re-)discover. Have patience, you ahve just listened or you are just listenning to the early beginnings!!"
Really nice, can't wait to read the others, but only when it's up to time (when listenning to the related album) :D
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

knwt

#106 Post by knwt » 02 Feb 2013 06:04

I ordered mine at Amazon.ca but the release date is only on Feb 5th. I'm going bananas with all the great reviews I've read and the songs I've managed to listen so far on youtube. It will be a LOOONG week 'til I get my hands on it. So, if someone knows where to find other samples please let me know!! So far I've listened to the Legendary Songs CD only (and the 8 mins preview, of course).

Traveller in Time

#107 Post by Traveller in Time » 02 Feb 2013 15:35

just listenning to IFTOS.... well in the new version it losts some hardness, especially the guitars are a bit low and sound more synthetic....
So i prefer the old mix. Anyone feeling the same?
Although some songs seem to be less "touched" than others. Bright eyes for example is more close to the old version. But Mordred's Song really got worse....

Perse

#108 Post by Perse » 02 Feb 2013 17:16

Well I kinda agree. It lost some of it's atmosphere. There are some parts where I prefer the old version (And The Story Ends!), but I think that Mordred's Song and A Past And Future Secret sound way better now.
I'm not sure about the faster songs. I like Bright Eyes and Imaginations, but maybe because I'm used to them from MoaTtc. The rest sound different, but I can't say if I like them more or less than the old versions.

warchanter

#109 Post by warchanter » 02 Feb 2013 17:42

This begs the question: are the remixes from Memories of a time to come the same ones we get with a Traveller's guide or are a Traveller's ones something different (a "third version" of sorts, if we want to call it that way)?
Mine arrives in two days!

bard_92

#110 Post by bard_92 » 02 Feb 2013 17:57

warchanter wrote:This begs the question: are the remixes from Memories of a time to come the same ones we get with a Traveller's guide or are a Traveller's ones something different (a "third version" of sorts, if we want to call it that way)?
Mine arrives in two days!
Yesq that's my question, too... What are the differents between - for example- Imaginations from the other side, Mirror Mirror and Bright eyes between the ones from MOATTC and the ones from TGTSAT ??? :?

Traveller in Time

#111 Post by Traveller in Time » 03 Feb 2013 18:22

Well listening to it with good headphones but via my poor audio device at laptop with my far beyond expert ears
i can say theses versions are different. So yes it's a third version you can call so. But on the other hand they sound really similiar. i hust have the feeling that the ATGTSAT version sounds more smooth and the single instruments more precise and not as a union. Hard to explain. Like they are in room at different places, so a a bit an ambient sound effect.
On the one hand it's great to hear more details of each instruments and melodie lines on the other it feels like every instrument is playing for its own and not as one.
And don't ask me but it feels like Hansi's voice is a bit muted and gets lost a bit.
So i prefer more the old version, as Hansi's rough singing and screams i do like on IFTOS a lot. On ATGTSAT it feels like it lost some roughness, not much, but a bit.
But i guess there are other opinions and i hope somebody more educated in music can describe it better. :wink:

bard_92

#112 Post by bard_92 » 03 Feb 2013 23:53

Traveller in Time wrote:Well listening to it with good headphones but via my poor audio device at laptop with my far beyond expert ears
i can say theses versions are different. So yes it's a third version you can call so. But on the other hand they sound really similiar. i hust have the feeling that the ATGTSAT version sounds more smooth and the single instruments more precise and not as a union. Hard to explain. Like they are in room at different places, so a a bit an ambient sound effect.
On the one hand it's great to hear more details of each instruments and melodie lines on the other it feels like every instrument is playing for its own and not as one.
And don't ask me but it feels like Hansi's voice is a bit muted and gets lost a bit.
So i prefer more the old version, as Hansi's rough singing and screams i do like on IFTOS a lot. On ATGTSAT it feels like it lost some roughness, not much, but a bit.
But i guess there are other opinions and i hope somebody more educated in music can describe it better. :wink:
Thank you very much, man...Can't wait to hear them :)

warchanter

#113 Post by warchanter » 04 Feb 2013 23:36

Ah, mine arrived today!!!! As previously said, the 2012 remixes are very similar to the 2011 ones, but are NOT the same, so be prepared for a new level of clearness. And, in general, be prepared for some yummy surprises from all albums. Everything sounds sooooo good it's unbelievable.

bard_92

#114 Post by bard_92 » 05 Feb 2013 01:09

warchanter wrote:Ah, mine arrived today!!!! As previously said, the 2012 remixes are very similar to the 2011 ones, but are NOT the same, so be prepared for a new level of clearness. And, in general, be prepared for some yummy surprises from all albums. Everything sounds sooooo good it's unbelievable.
AGRHHHH...I'm so angry...my box is still coming :o

I have only one question...cause I can't wait. Is the Blood Tears on the 8 minute preview clip the New Vocal Mix or it's just the remixed one :roll:
And if it's not...so how does the New Vocal Mix sounds :) ?

knwt

#115 Post by knwt » 05 Feb 2013 03:02

Mine is still showing "Not yet shipped"... :evil:

I'm looking forward to listen to it but so far I only found "An Extraordinary Tale" on you tube. I need more!! :D

warchanter

#116 Post by warchanter » 05 Feb 2013 03:26

bard_92 wrote: AGRHHHH...I'm so angry...my box is still coming :o
I have only one question...cause I can't wait. Is the Blood Tears on the 8 minute preview clip the New Vocal Mix or it's just the remixed one :roll:
And if it's not...so how does the New Vocal Mix sounds :) ?
Hard to say, I've listened to them just once and I think the main differences are in the first verses, the ones not present in the clip. Anyhow, The new mix sounds good.

residentour

#117 Post by residentour » 05 Feb 2013 13:56

Sorry but who mixes and remasters these songs? "The Memories.." and this collection sound way terrible than the originals. I cannot stand listening.
The vocals have no dynamics, they are over bright almost no mids. Drums and bass are overcompressed, they are booming. The overall volume is not stable because of limiter.

I hope next album is mixed and mastered like ATEOT.

Zook

#118 Post by Zook » 07 Feb 2013 04:07

ANATO looks (hears) like it's still going to be headache inducing, but they bumped up the rhythm guitar in the mix, which is good.

Jazzy

#119 Post by Jazzy » 07 Feb 2013 20:41

3277/8000 - Yeah!

I havent felt so good since the last live performance....

Awesomness in a box!

Metatron

#120 Post by Metatron » 08 Feb 2013 06:39

I've had a listen. Essentially these are still the same songs... So this stuff is for hardcore fans only!

I do find some of the remastering interesting. The results are mixed in my opinion. Overall the sound in all the songs is a bit too 'treble-y'. Having said that, it's nice to hear the rhythm guitars more clearly in A night at the opera. Good. Some songs are interestingly stripped of some vocal layers, even entire verses (Precious Jerusalem, Blood Tears). You get the feeling that they wanted to make everything sound less produced and more like a live performance which is fine. In some cases it works, but some of the older songs have been messed up. Welcome to Dying is a disappointment. The choir verses in the chorus are lax. Some of the quirky character of the originals recordings is gone in the name of clarity. So overall, in some cases it was one of those 'if it's not broken, don't fix it kinda situations, but it's good to hear some refreshingly straightforward versions of certain songs, particularly in the case of ANATO.
Abandoning the superior mind

Zook

#121 Post by Zook » 09 Feb 2013 02:21

I'm happy they raised the volume of the lead guitar in the chorus of Imaginations From the Other Side. My introduction to the song was from Live, and when I heard the studio version, I was disappointed that the lead was so low in the mix. Not anymore.

Ryu

#122 Post by Ryu » 09 Feb 2013 10:52

Nothing on Youtube yet? Shame, I'd like a bit more of a sample.
Defiant of destiny

Zook

#123 Post by Zook » 09 Feb 2013 17:11

A little google searching brings you great things.

bard_92

#124 Post by bard_92 » 09 Feb 2013 18:00

Please, give a link, man...
I can't find anything, too... And I'm searching in Google every day :/

DREAMASTER

#125 Post by DREAMASTER » 09 Feb 2013 18:27

Well for me the original versions will always be better versions. I don't like this kind of re-mix that changes the sound of the instruments for the albums sound more modern. I don't like the modern sound of today BG albums (not talking about the song writing) that are done by Charlie Bauerfiend. They tend to sound lifeless, with no feeling, artificial and plastic. If they did a re-mix like the ones in the Deep Purple anniversary editions that would be diferent thing and more my taste.
Behold the sword of power... Excalibur
Forged when the world was young
and bird and beast and flower were one with Man,
and Death was but a DREAM!!!

bard_92

#126 Post by bard_92 » 09 Feb 2013 19:02

DREAMASTER wrote:Well for me the original versions will always be better versions. I don't like this kind of re-mix that changes the sound of the instruments for the albums sound more modern. I don't like the modern sound of today BG albums (not talking about the song writing) that are done by Charlie Bauerfiend. They tend to sound lifeless, with no feeling, artificial and plastic. If they did a re-mix like the ones in the Deep Purple anniversary editions that would be diferent thing and more my taste.
I can't agree even a little...

The first thing that changed my visions for music - FOREVER- was before one year when I've heard for first time the new version of And Then There Was Silence(2012 re-recorded). For me this is still the best production I've ever heard...everything sounds so clearly, the vocals are so powerfull and I can hear all the instruments with a real punch... I can say that I have never heard something like this before... But maybe till these days, when I' ve heard for first time the 8 minute preview of ATGTSAT. I'm still waiting my copy, but -from what I've heard till now- I can say that it's way, way better than the old versions... The drums have more punch... now you can hear all the instruments, the sound is all around you(like in 3D :D, so everything sounds so perfect For me!So I think I will not like it... I'LL LOVE IT :)
Last edited by bard_92 on 09 Feb 2013 19:26, edited 1 time in total.

DREAMASTER

#127 Post by DREAMASTER » 09 Feb 2013 19:25

Thank God most fans don't think like you :wink: and the band and others bands too coz then we be flood with discographies all re-mixed to a modern sound. All this seems like the George Lucas symdrome, everytime he took the first 3 movies to re-release, he would re-touch and change them. Thank God I have the originals on dvd untouched. Yeah in the box you have the chance to hear the albuns in a diferent way but it will never surpass of substitute the originals versions. The production of that time has some magic even if not everything is perfect and those imp+erfections that make, for me, the beauty and magic of them. Like someone said, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Besides, like I said, if the re-mixing was done like in the Deep Purple Anniversary albums were the the voice and instrumental tracks were cleaned and re-balanced. Here you can here everything perfect but the instruments sound exactly like in the original version but now clearly and even some things that were buried in the original mix can be heard now.

bard_92

#128 Post by bard_92 » 09 Feb 2013 19:46

DREAMASTER wrote:Thank God most fans don't think like you :wink: and the band and others bands too coz then we be flood with discographies all re-mixed to a modern sound. All this seems like the George Lucas symdrome, everytime he took the first 3 movies to re-release, he would re-touch and change them. Thank God I have the originals on dvd untouched. Yeah in the box you have the chance to hear the albuns in a diferent way but it will never surpass of substitute the originals versions. The production of that time has some magic even if not everything is perfect and those imp+erfections that make, for me, the beauty and magic of them. Like someone said, if it isn't broken, don't fix it.

Besides, like I said, if the re-mixing was done like in the Deep Purple Anniversary albums were the the voice and instrumental tracks were cleaned and re-balanced. Here you can here everything perfect but the instruments sound exactly like in the original version but now clearly and even some things that were buried in the original mix can be heard now.
OK, maybe it's just a matter of taste. The differences that I like at most in the new BG is that the new versions sounds so perfect like they all comes from some kind of a movie... I really can't describe the feeling... But their production is really strange, something I have never heard from any other band. For me Blind Guardian is the "different" band and maybe that's why I love it that much.

And I couldn't agree that the most fans think like you ;)

DREAMASTER

#129 Post by DREAMASTER » 10 Feb 2013 01:49

Btw, can you tell me who remastered the first two albums of the boxset?

Traveller in Time

#130 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Feb 2013 15:27

Charlie Bauerfeind made all, since NIME or better to say since ANATO he makes everything concerning their recordings.
He made all their compilations like the remasters series, MOATTC and now the boxset.

I can't agree totally as well. IFTOS sounds for me worse, because its lost some roughness and Hansi's voice got more muted in my opinion. Therefore is the sound of the other albums really in my taste.

DREAMASTER

#131 Post by DREAMASTER » 10 Feb 2013 16:19

Actually, the 2007 remasters were remastered by Wolfgang Uller.

And NIME:
Produced by Blind Guardian
Flemming Rasmussen – mixing
Charlie Bauerfeind – mixing of interludes
Flemming Rasmussen, Charlie Bauerfeind and Piet Sielck – mixing engineers
Charlie Bauerfeind – recording and engineering of drums, percussion, lead and backing vocals, bass guitars, piano and interludes
Piet Sielck – recording and engineering of lead, rhythm and acoustic guitars, keyboards and orchestral effects
Flemming Rasmussen – recording and engineering of vocals
Cuny – recording and engineering of flutes, alto-flutes and vocals

Traveller in Time

#132 Post by Traveller in Time » 10 Feb 2013 21:35

yeah you have a point at this.
I meant the remixed versions of the remasters series (BOF and FTB), indeed just the remastering was done by Wolfgang Ulmer.

Nime was done by many producers but the final mixing was done by Charlie (at least Hansi once said so in an interview that Charlie saved NIME), so for me it counts as "his work".

DREAMASTER

#133 Post by DREAMASTER » 11 Feb 2013 01:22

Interesting that about NIME said by Hansi.

Well BOF and FTB 2007 version were remixed by Charlie and remastered by Wolfgang Uller. This guy also remixed Gandalf's Rebirth and the Demos.

Traveller in Time

#134 Post by Traveller in Time » 11 Feb 2013 18:45

yeah it's a bit strange, because in the booklet of NIME there is mostly Rasmussen named.
But the Mirror Mirror single was done by Charlie completely. And like i said Hansi said once that there was totally chaos when producing NIME, they didn't know where which recordings has been saved. And Charlie brought everything together.....

bard_92

#135 Post by bard_92 » 11 Feb 2013 21:11

Traveller in Time wrote:yeah it's a bit strange, because in the booklet of NIME there is mostly Rasmussen named.
But the Mirror Mirror single was done by Charlie completely. And like i said Hansi said once that there was totally chaos when producing NIME, they didn't know where which recordings has been saved. And Charlie brought everything together.....

Oh My God...Thanks, Charlie :shock:

DREAMASTER

#136 Post by DREAMASTER » 11 Feb 2013 22:08

Charlie can be a good producer but I don't like his work as a mixing and mastering engineer.

Traveller in Time

#137 Post by Traveller in Time » 11 Feb 2013 23:23

I do like his mixing for Helloween and Rage, but sometimes on BG albums the drums lack of volume (or maybe the band wanted it so). Since Thomen left there is less focus on it, so is my impression.

DREAMASTER

#138 Post by DREAMASTER » 12 Feb 2013 02:47

For me it no the lack of volume. I'm a fan of the old school instruments sound. I don't mean poor production or sloppy work. I like to hear everything right and to sound like real stuff. My problem with Charlie, like I said before, is that he turns the sound of the albums (mainly the instruments) lifeless, with no feeling, artificial and plastic, like something done on computer and not sounding like the real things. I really dislike the sound of the drums in BG albums since Charlie began to mix and mastering everything.

Here an examples for you to know what I mean.

Just listen carefully to the sound of the tom-toms, bass drum, snare drum and hit-hat cymbal and guitars sound of BG song and compare it to the others songs of bands (recent/new stuff).

Blind Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIZNb96EQJ8

Sinbreed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxS1aQSSb5M

Ross The Boss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyGyIQvLgHg

Stratovarius.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-i-LhRudP4

ent

#139 Post by ent » 13 Feb 2013 22:47

Do you have a booklet cds in box set???

I really do not know if it is worth to buy it or not, is not cheap ....
CROATIAN BARD

Blind Guardian Croatian Bards
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blind-Gua ... 0227785608

ErHaO

#140 Post by ErHaO » 16 Feb 2013 02:37

DREAMASTER wrote:For me it no the lack of volume. I'm a fan of the old school instruments sound. I don't mean poor production or sloppy work. I like to hear everything right and to sound like real stuff. My problem with Charlie, like I said before, is that he turns the sound of the albums (mainly the instruments) lifeless, with no feeling, artificial and plastic, like something done on computer and not sounding like the real things. I really dislike the sound of the drums in BG albums since Charlie began to mix and mastering everything.

Here an examples for you to know what I mean.

Just listen carefully to the sound of the tom-toms, bass drum, snare drum and hit-hat cymbal and guitars sound of BG song and compare it to the others songs of bands (recent/new stuff).

Blind Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIZNb96EQJ8

Sinbreed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxS1aQSSb5M

Ross The Boss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyGyIQvLgHg

Stratovarius.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-i-LhRudP4
I do agree with your opinion on the drums to some extent. Especially for ATEOT. But for me, the old mixes of some BG albums were a bit broken (the only think I did not really like about BG albums and had to get used to). The fact that I can now hear way more details and subtle notes in their music more than makes up for the, to me, slightly less drum sound. And in addition to this, I do think the drums on this box-set sound better than ATEOT and MOATTC in general. But it also depends on the tracks for me for my preferred version.

This is in no way comparable to the god awful George Lucas retouches. And luckily, you do have the old albums which are more to your liking. I still cannot watch the first Star Wars movie without Han's expressionless neck-dodge and a random Jabba appearance on blu ray quality. You can hear it all on your old CD's (well, the sounds that were properly mixed in and balanced, that is).

residentour

#141 Post by residentour » 16 Feb 2013 17:40

Truth behind remastered BG albums:

What detail can you hear from "lost" ? :roll:

This is a screen of the original IFTOS and Remastered one. The blue one (original )you see has no clipping. It has dynamics and details. The pink one ( remastered) is clipping a lot. It has no dynamics and details. All you hear described as detail is the garbled surpassed frequencies that are aliasing with harmonics' ones.
Videos explaining dynamic losses of remastered albums :
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UjQc0dM4H4
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSwLeLdkYjs

I made a sound clip to show how horrible is "A Traveler's Guide to Space and Time" :

LINK: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49863600/Compare.mp3

In this very clip you will listen to 3 types of IFTOS: "The original" > "2007 Remastered" > "2013 ATGTSAT"

Let me tell differences:

1) The original one has balance and soul in it. You can hear bass and the guitars are well positions in the stereo field. Snare has a great ambiance.
2) The 2007 remastered version has volume increased and so it has clippings. It has more treble than the original which makes the cymbals sound non realistic. Snare's reverb tail is weak.
3) 2013 ATGTSAT is overcompressed, the bass drums and bass is positioned in the hard center. Bass guitar is lost there. Rhythm guitar tone has wrong amount of gain caused by compression and its low end freqs interfere with bass. Guitars sound aliased. Volume of Drums are reduced and toms are hard to be distinguished. Snare is lost :shock: . The overall mix has lots of reverb's late filter and over configured "HPF-LPF" filters which makes the song is played in a big pipe and you are listening from outside of it. Sound is choking.
4) Hansi's vocal is perfect in the original, has a bit alising in the 2007 one. At 2013 ATGTSAT one you can hear Hansi is essing. It has more treble than the others (thin vocal ) and kills the powerful vocal. It seems to be coming from a younger Hansi :lol: .

Here is another clip about cymbals:

LINK: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/49863600/Cymbal.mp3
The order is the same. Just focus on cymbals.
1) First you hear a balanced cymbal fits in the mix.
2) The remastered one has a clipping and distorting cymbals which is harsh.
3) Lol, at 2013 ATGTSAT you almost cannot hear a cymbal. It blends in guitars' tone. You can hear no detail here :wink:

Also I found a youtube video that shows the same results as me : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-0zo2FdFTI

bard_92

#142 Post by bard_92 » 16 Feb 2013 22:44

Man, I think that you have more musical education than me, but I couldn't agree with you !!!

I heard all the BoxSet, and I really prefer all those new versions.

First of all you said the word "details", so let me tell you what I think about it:
RIGHT NOW
... I can clearly hear all of the vocals(not only Hansi ones...but finally the choir ones, too...especially on ANATO)...
RIGHT NOW
...I can hear all of the instruments...
RIGHT NOW
...I can feel the atmosphere in these masterpieces...
SO,RIGHT NOW
All these things -in combination- have really big punch, while I'm listening to these songs...

I know that we all have different opinions, but that's exactly what I call DETAILS :)

And, I really think that the whole Blind Guardian SOUL is in this BOX...I really think that all of the songs NOW/FINALLY sounds the way, they we're created to be :wink:
About the drums - I really like them this time,they sounds really better, especially than MOATTC.

P.S. Just enjoy the music
That's how the band wanted to sound, and I absolutely agree with it :)

wade-newb

#143 Post by wade-newb » 16 Feb 2013 23:04

Residentour, in the clip you made, I could not help but feel that each example of the first three were each better than the last, with TGTSAT sounding the best. The original just... the quality is far poorer. And that's strangely most evident in IFTOS. I honestly fee like the new mixes are great. It might suffer from clipping, but the fact is that the instruments' arrangements are far clearer, and the tone is spot-on.
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

residentour

#144 Post by residentour » 16 Feb 2013 23:48

RIGHT NOW
Sorry but I don't agree with this part. As with the original clips the snare drum and cymbals can be heard , the bass is there. I can really tell and hear layered guitars.
BUT, for ATGTSAT all the instruments are grouped and filtered then mixed, that you can tell the groups can be heard easily because they are put in the EQ pockets of full spectrum after heavily processed.

So this means:
If there are 8 tracks of rhythm guitars (and BG uses lots of layered instruments including vocals) you may hear 2 after the process , but can say that is a rhythm guitar and can be heard easily. In fact it is heavily filtered and compressed to be one guitar buss.
A booming amount of low end freq is dominated by kick drum+bass guitar on hard center. Compressed cymbals and over bright vocals are naturally have distant to that booming part. Also a "stereo wide" fx applied.
That is the trick that they create tools and music for bass heads or bass surpassed headphone users for last several years.
Forexample : if I open a BMP picture file and apply a "digital sharpen" filter, it doesn't make it more detailed and sharp. It throws some of the source file's information. It makes some parts of the picture (edges and contrass passes) more district than the near object. We can notify the elements on processed picture by look from a distant easily but we cannot say the original picture is blurry than the new processed picture. What is gone is gone.

This is what it seems for ATGTSAT.
For "2007 remastered albums" : it is less processed as it is similar to original. Anyone could make similar with : An exciter with a bass and treble boost, a few EQ touches ( maybe multi band compressor) and raised the overall volume with a leveling-amp or limiter compressor.
Just enjoy the music
I enjoy the originals but just worried about the next coming albums :?
Last edited by residentour on 17 Feb 2013 00:21, edited 2 times in total.

bard_92

#145 Post by bard_92 » 17 Feb 2013 00:15

residentour wrote:
Just enjoy the music
Don't worry, it's going to be awesome as always :wink:

DREAMASTER

#146 Post by DREAMASTER » 20 Feb 2013 23:26

residentour wrote:
RIGHT NOW
Sorry but I don't agree with this part. As with the original clips the snare drum and cymbals can be heard , the bass is there. I can really tell and hear layered guitars.
BUT, for ATGTSAT all the instruments are grouped and filtered then mixed, that you can tell the groups can be heard easily because they are put in the EQ pockets of full spectrum after heavily processed.

So this means:
If there are 8 tracks of rhythm guitars (and BG uses lots of layered instruments including vocals) you may hear 2 after the process , but can say that is a rhythm guitar and can be heard easily. In fact it is heavily filtered and compressed to be one guitar buss.
A booming amount of low end freq is dominated by kick drum+bass guitar on hard center. Compressed cymbals and over bright vocals are naturally have distant to that booming part. Also a "stereo wide" fx applied.
That is the trick that they create tools and music for bass heads or bass surpassed headphone users for last several years.
Forexample : if I open a BMP picture file and apply a "digital sharpen" filter, it doesn't make it more detailed and sharp. It throws some of the source file's information. It makes some parts of the picture (edges and contrass passes) more district than the near object. We can notify the elements on processed picture by look from a distant easily but we cannot say the original picture is blurry than the new processed picture. What is gone is gone.

This is what it seems for ATGTSAT.
For "2007 remastered albums" : it is less processed as it is similar to original. Anyone could make similar with : An exciter with a bass and treble boost, a few EQ touches ( maybe multi band compressor) and raised the overall volume with a leveling-amp or limiter compressor.
Just enjoy the music

Of course I agree with everything you said. What I'm afraid is that ppl are getting used to this kind of new produced sound done to death in computer machines that destroys all the dynamics and life and "breath" in music and it's turning it sterile and stale that the bands may think go even forward in this and even change the old albums by remix or re-record them in the New sound and get rid off the original recordings like Megadeth did for example, so you only have this new versions to hear.

DREAMASTER

#147 Post by DREAMASTER » 20 Feb 2013 23:28

bard_92 wrote:
residentour wrote:
Just enjoy the music
Don't worry, it's going to be awesome as always :wink:
It's not the songs/music that we're worried. It's the production, the mixing and the mastering done to it.

sharpened_graphite

#148 Post by sharpened_graphite » 23 Feb 2013 19:37

I had the opportunity to listen to several of the Remastered songs from ATGtSAT put up on YouTube (namely "The Soulforged", "Time Stands Still", "Nightfall", and "The Bard's Song - The Hobbit"), and while while they all sounded perfectly alright on earbud headphones (arguably clearer sounding than the original versions but not necessarily better, the only one that truly sounded improved on the original was "The Hobbit" the others were in my opinion robbed of atmosphere compared to the original mixes) when listened to on proper stereo speakers they sounded pretty abysmal, flat & noisy and if anything more difficult to listen to and discern details than the originals (with a loss of both heavyness and atmosphere to boot).

Could it be that those new remixes & remasters were created specifically with earbud headphones/MP3 players in mind as opposed to a proper stereo system?

Edain

#149 Post by Edain » 24 Feb 2013 00:26

I can't give a full review of the box yet, but - especially on Opera - there seems to be one particularly annoying flaw. Is it just me or did they boost the volume of the hihat sometimes way too much, making it overly prominent and even way louder than the cymbals? Generally I have the impression made too much use of the volume-knob - trying to emphasize certain instruments / vocal parts in certain parts of the songs while reducing volume levels of other parts of the band. Which results in a certain "up and down"-feeling throughout a single song and makes them feel somehow fragmented.

Still I'm positive about the remixes - especially that they managed to bring back a ton of melodies which were buried in the original mixes. What are those cymbals doing during the "The fields were left in sorrow"-part in Battlefield? They weren't there 10 years ago. :mrgreen:
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

Shadowxxx

#150 Post by Shadowxxx » 25 Feb 2013 14:14

Guys, I uploaded Battlefield on YouTube. Listen and rate :)
/watch?v=Oc2Z38zVlQE
Ty :)