Darn, Valkyries is a grower!

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Edain

#1 Post by Edain » 25 Nov 2010 13:21

I still think the flow of the song isn't perfect, but ... it's goddamn beautiful, the riffing is so different from other Blind Guardian-stuff. Awesome. :)
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

Dentarthurdent

Re: Darn, Valkyries is a grower!

#2 Post by Dentarthurdent » 25 Nov 2010 13:34

But the lyrics stay a bore.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Bender B. Rodriguez
Location: Anywhere but the "Sanctuary"..because i'm banned from that place (Santiago de Chile)

#3 Post by Bender B. Rodriguez » 25 Nov 2010 14:17

i'll be able to respond properly when i get enough into the whole album...i have a thing with BG...i start liking their albums almost 2 years after it's release date.dunno why really..
☢ ☢ ☢ all hail the deathweed ☢ ☢ ☢

bestpike

#4 Post by bestpike » 25 Nov 2010 15:37

Bender B. Rodriguez wrote:i'll be able to respond properly when i get enough into the whole album...i have a thing with BG...i start liking their albums almost 2 years after it's release date.dunno why really..
I 're-discover' songs even now after so many years. I think the reason is that some songs are so awesome and interesting but at the same time full of hidden magic, that they outshine other very good (maybe as good or even better) songs waiting to be discovered once you are done with the ones that first caught your ear.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Drex

#5 Post by Drex » 25 Nov 2010 15:46

Valkyries was the first song that really stood out for me, apart from Sacred Worlds... but we all knew that one already.

Avelar

#6 Post by Avelar » 25 Nov 2010 16:02

You won't believe me, but just yesterday the same thought came to me for the first time. At one moment during Valkyries I realized that there is something special in this song. I wasn't concentrated on listening when the song started, but somewhere in the middle it waded into my head and captured my attention, the feeling was new and I liked it. It was a magic moment, I felt that this song comprises the soul of BG.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

TraneDeracs

#7 Post by TraneDeracs » 25 Nov 2010 17:05

Wait...Valykries was the letdown song? I thought Control the Divine was the dud of the album.

Juk

#8 Post by Juk » 25 Nov 2010 17:16

Yes, it is a grower. I am listening to this album for months and Valkyries is growing a lot right now, exactly when I am starting to get a little bored with the faster songs due to over-listening.

And I like the lyrics. :)

bestpike

#9 Post by bestpike » 26 Nov 2010 02:06

TraneDeracs wrote:Wait...Valykries was the letdown song? I thought Control the Divine was the dud of the album.
Control the Divine is in no way a dud! It's also a grower. I'm not very fond of Valkyries yet, but I don't skip it either. I prefer the extended version over the normal one too.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Edain

#10 Post by Edain » 26 Nov 2010 14:00

Argh, Control the divine definitely isn't a letdown either - for me the only letdown would be A voice in the dark: Too much shredding, too little good melodies and innovative ideas (by Blind Guardian-standards, still not a bad song). I mean, just listen to the second verse in Control the divine (Impassioned, I'll show you a way!) - pure awesomeness.

And back to Valkyries - Intro and outro are so goddamn beautiful and all that stuff that happens in between - the prechorus, the hard attack in the second verse between some totally new parts ... gotta love it. I know what you mean, Avelar, when you say that it comprises the soul of BG. :)

Yeah, the lyrics aren't really awesome, but good music stays good music. :)

Valkyrja

#11 Post by Valkyrja » 26 Nov 2010 16:05

I love this song! It's so pretty, and the intro and outro get me every time. :') "To the gods of the north I pray!"

(I'm a shamless Norse Mythology nerd)

The Rider Of Rohan

#12 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 26 Nov 2010 18:10

It's a great song. Honestly, I never saw what ppl disliked about it. I knew from the start it was one of the best songs on the album.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Led Guardian

#13 Post by Led Guardian » 27 Nov 2010 05:49

Valkyrja wrote:I love this song! It's so pretty, and the intro and outro get me every time. :') "To the gods of the north I pray!"

(I'm a shamless Norse Mythology nerd)
Really? Nothing about your username gave that away. :wink: :P
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

thrashinbatman

#14 Post by thrashinbatman » 27 Nov 2010 18:50

I think the entire middle section of it is. Sacred Worlds up to Ride, and Voice in the Dark and Wheel of Time were easy to get into for me, but the rest of the songs took many listens to get into. Blind Guardian's stuff is like that, although I found IFTOS to be easy to get into.

Valkyrja

#15 Post by Valkyrja » 27 Nov 2010 19:09

Led Guardian wrote: Really? Nothing about your username gave that away. :wink: :P
... Oh shush, you. :mrgreen:

Mahoora

#16 Post by Mahoora » 27 Nov 2010 22:26

Indeed, I really fell into Valkyries from the first hearing of the album and my love just grew!! and I agree with the intro/outro magic!! A greeat song 8)
All those plans and hopes and dreams what happens to them? it's only a handfull of the lucky ones who can look back and say that they even came close.
You can't take it with you. act III,scene I

Skrymir

#17 Post by Skrymir » 28 Nov 2010 02:54

I also listend to that song a lot since the first impressions of the album... and I still don't like the chorus. :P

Edain

#18 Post by Edain » 13 Dec 2010 18:16

And as I'm tabbing the song at the moment (I'll provide only bass and drum-tabs as I'm leaving Thursday for 3 weeks and I'm not much of a guitarist) I have to say - jesus, Fred does some wicked shit. Listen to the drumming from 2:45 - 3:10 carefully. :shock:

Andreas

#19 Post by Andreas » 14 Dec 2010 01:06

Valkyries was my favourite at first listen. Nowadays I'm into the entire album, except for Road of No Release. Just can't get into that one, maybe if I wait for a few months...

Dentarthurdent

#20 Post by Dentarthurdent » 14 Dec 2010 01:19

RonR was difficult for me as well, then I began to look at it as a semi-ballad in vein of IftOS, and bam, there it was.
R.I.P. The Following - The page may have deceased, but Followers will be Followers until the world will be no more!

\,,/ last.fm \,,/ Flickr \,,/ My Band \,,/ Twitter \,,/ My CD-collection \,,/

You're a load of useless bloody loonies! - Ford Prefect

Andreas

#21 Post by Andreas » 14 Dec 2010 02:20

I will try that. I may or may not thank you tomorrow.

Led Guardian

#22 Post by Led Guardian » 14 Dec 2010 03:00

That was one of the first to grow on me.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

sharpened_graphite

#23 Post by sharpened_graphite » 14 Dec 2010 11:59

Funny, I think that as far as emotional impact goes, Road of No Release is the strongest song on the album (closeley rivalled by War of the Thrones though).

wade-newb

#24 Post by wade-newb » 14 Dec 2010 12:12

Some may cry heathen, but I find Control The Divine has some really emotionally expressive vocals.
The whole of ATEOT is just so great though, I only realised this the other day. At first it was like "Mmm, I like this one, it's pretty good.", but now it's like "ATEOT OMG I LOVE IT". There are some simply magical moments in there :)
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

serstickman

#25 Post by serstickman » 18 Dec 2010 14:58

Loved Valkyries 1st time I heard it. Wish they had played it live last night in Asheville. Love the intro, the lyrics, melody & the chorus rocks! Just a brilliant song.