OFFICIAL SETLIST TOPIC

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Andreas

Re: OFFICIAL SETLIST TOPIC

#51 Post by Andreas » 25 Sep 2010 01:53

So the complete setlist was

Sacred Worlds
Welcome To Dying
Nightfall
Fly
Another Holy War
Traveler in Time
Bright Eyes
Valhalla
Lord of the Rings
This Will Never End
A Voice in the Dark
And The Story Ends

Encore:

Punishment Divine
The Bard's Song (In the Forest)
Wheel of Time
Mirror Mirror

I liked it. First time for me, so no problem concerning the classic songs as far as I am concerned.

I.c.e Motion

#52 Post by I.c.e Motion » 25 Sep 2010 02:26

Back home again...

How did Wheel of time sound, let's say they let midi-files or something do the orchestral part in it. And that I never have been a real big fan of the sound in this particular venue (I always think it's kind of shitty) So that aside I'd say it sounded as well as to be expected.

Secondly, to me, and to a lot of the fans: Blind Guardian shows are mainly about the atmosphere.. and what better way to get a crowd going by playing classics... at least they do shift around some songs.. it's been ages since I heard Traveller live for instance (I think the only other time I ever heard it was during the BGOA) But singing along, having fun. Those are intergral parts of a BG show. Always have been and always will be. So yes, they will play material from the older albums. It's not about hearing that particular song live.. no it's about having an evening of fun. And that's always the case in my experiences.

Something else was different though.. the lightshow has blown all stops compared to previous shows I've seen.. large backdrops, projections over said backdrops (some quite fitting and pleasant, others IMO kind of bland and boring) and mostly big follow spots on Hansi or Andre when playing a solo. (As a photographer.. easy to work with, but you're kind of forced to focus on the person in the spot.. the rest was too dark but well.. )
"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning" - Calvin without Hobbes

www.icemotion.nl

Gandalf de Grijze

#53 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 25 Sep 2010 02:47

My biggest "problem" was that it was shorter than the other club shows i've seen.
On the other hand, it WAS the first gig for the tour, one could expect a huge set full of surprises, but one could just as well expect a standard setlist to warm up with, the latter we got.

Anyway, the atmosphere was so friggin awesome!! most of the time i couldn't hear Hansi due to the choir of fans singing along.
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

tigs6969

#54 Post by tigs6969 » 25 Sep 2010 03:07

one thing ticks me off is no love for twist or opera... i mean the band told me themselves precious jerusalem is a no
but why not maiden and minstrel knight? or battlefield?
why not carry the blessed home or straight through the mirror?
and also i wanna see bard song hobbit dammit

LeBard

#55 Post by LeBard » 25 Sep 2010 03:33

Some quick thoughts because it's really late (or very early, depending on how you see it...) concerning the setlist. I am glad to see Wheel of Time being played, I am really sad to see that ATTWS is out. Also, I can't see a single surprise in this setlist. Traveler in Time is a great song which wasn't played a lot the last main-tour but it's far from a "rare" song. All and all it's basically the setlist from the last tour. Which is, well, disheartening. There should at least be one surprise in there, like Ashes to Ashes. And also; a very short set list, unless I am missing a song? I counted 17 songs at 1:35:19 hours. Well, that isn't really short, it sounded shorter in my head before I calculated the time heh. Not sure if A Twist in the Myth tour was any longer.

Oh well, we'll see how the set list will turn out in the other shows. They have, after all, rehearsed 44 songs or something like that.

bestpike

#56 Post by bestpike » 25 Sep 2010 03:35

Carry the blessed home? Really? That song is the only one I systematically skip from the BG discography. Anyway, The Hobbit should show up later, I remember Hansi saying that.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

tigs6969

#57 Post by tigs6969 » 25 Sep 2010 03:42

apologies for not hating the same song as you :roll:

bestpike

#58 Post by bestpike » 25 Sep 2010 03:49

It just seems weird to propose that song for live. I mean, do you really like it so much? You consider it let's say on top 3 of the album?
Forever to be free

Twister

#59 Post by Twister » 25 Sep 2010 03:53

I'd kill for a setlist like this. Now let's see if it changes and how!

(Is it true, still? No IFTOS song?)
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

drummer88

#60 Post by drummer88 » 25 Sep 2010 08:01

I really hope that in Düsseldorf there'll be more songs from the new album......but as you can see just from this few posts; you really can't satisfy everyone with the setlist^^

Led Guardian

#61 Post by Led Guardian » 25 Sep 2010 08:39

bestpike wrote:
OokieSpookie wrote:People who have seen them many many times also need to remember that there are many people who have never seen them before so they try to cover all bases.
Set list sounds great to me, and I know that it will vary quite a bit as the tour goes around.
Indeed, we mustn't forget the newcomers. Yeah probably we will see much more variation later on.
I'm a newcomer. Never seen them before, but I own the Live album and ITtLG. That's pretty much like having 2 live copies of IftOS. So although I've never been there, I feel like I've heard those songs a million times live. I also oppose such a thing on general principle of staying "fresh." A band needs to evolve. BG has done that musically, but there live shows seem to have stagnated in what they play. I'm sure that they're amazing no matter what they play, and I like those older songs too, but it's disappointing. You said something about satisfying the older fans, but they've been doing that for over a decade. As someone who prefers post-IftOS BG, I feel like they aren't providing songs that I and others like me would like to here. In their live shows, we're the more ignored group, while the older fans get all the service. I must adhere to my original point: Time to move on.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Joshua rain

#62 Post by Joshua rain » 25 Sep 2010 09:12

I loved the show, great atmosphere, great setlist, btw they played 1.50 hourse, pretty decent if you ask me, next time I see them will be Wacken next year, wonder how much the setlist will have changed, they were amazing in 2007, on a sidenot, does anybody know if BG will record a dvd again someday? the last one is from rather a long time ago

turcomagan

#63 Post by turcomagan » 25 Sep 2010 09:23

a risk setlist....good setlist

drummer88

#64 Post by drummer88 » 25 Sep 2010 09:40

why do you think it's a <risk setlist>? They played so many classics and no new new ( :D ) at all....I'd really like to hear more songs from anato and twist ...eg precious jerusalem, battlefield, sadly sings destiny, lionheart, straight through mirror or the edge......it should be a bit more balanced imo

Andreas

#65 Post by Andreas » 25 Sep 2010 10:45

You should've heard the crowd response when Hansi announced the first ATITM song. I was one of the few cheering people in the crowd. Hansi's response to that was nice though: "That's what I call enthusiasm"
Gandalf de Grijze wrote:My biggest "problem" was that it was shorter than the other club shows i've seen.
Indeed. It was a bit less than 2 hours I think. Still better than that 90 minute concert of Sonata Arctica though.

Twister

#66 Post by Twister » 25 Sep 2010 11:16

Led Guardian wrote:I'm a newcomer. Never seen them before, but I own the Live album and ITtLG. That's pretty much like having 2 live copies of IftOS. So although I've never been there, I feel like I've heard those songs a million times live.
I understand what you say and I don't disagree with your post. But just wait to be there. It's something different

This said: no songs from NIME, just Mirror Mirror as closer. I remember when in an interview Hansi said they could not play songs from NIME in the whole tour and then play the whole album in another tour.
They could close this set with Piper's Calling + Somewhere Far Beyond :)
"Well, I was about to announce the next song, but I think we'll have to skip it...
Yeah, because we have a pretty sad song here, and you all seem so happy to me...!"

(Hansi Kursch)

turcomagan

#67 Post by turcomagan » 25 Sep 2010 11:20

and another holy war,and the story ends traveller in time since 1998 they didn´t sing on tour set list and no IFTOS is a very risk set list

Phantom Lord

#68 Post by Phantom Lord » 25 Sep 2010 11:27

IftOS is their most played song for a reason. Why stop playing it? :evil:

Gandalf de Grijze

#69 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 25 Sep 2010 11:39

Andreas wrote:You should've heard the crowd response when Hansi announced the first ATITM song. I was one of the few cheering people in the crowd. Hansi's response to that was nice though: "That's what I call enthusiasm"
actually, where i was standing the people went crazy..
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

tigs6969

#70 Post by tigs6969 » 25 Sep 2010 11:40

bestpike wrote:It just seems weird to propose that song for live. I mean, do you really like it so much? You consider it let's say on top 3 of the album?
my atitm top 3
1. turn the page
2. carry the blessed home
3. straight through the mirror
do i?

tigs6969

#71 Post by tigs6969 » 25 Sep 2010 11:43

drummer88 wrote:why do you think it's a <risk setlist>? They played so many classics and no new new ( :D ) at all....I'd really like to hear more songs from anato and twist ...eg precious jerusalem, battlefield, sadly sings destiny, lionheart, straight through mirror or the edge......it should be a bit more balanced imo
as said before i actually got told by the band precious jerusalem is a no

Gandalf de Grijze

#72 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 25 Sep 2010 11:51

It is hard to please everybody, because everybody wants to hear different songs. And as I said, please take notice it was basically a warm-up for the grand tour. They chose to play it safe, maybe keep teh real surprises for their "home" audience in germany (and the concerts after that).

Traveller in Time

#73 Post by Traveller in Time » 25 Sep 2010 13:17

Yeah don't rate their setlist of the whole tour by only having the setlist of the first gig.
Let's wait till more shows are played, they will have rehearsals meanwhile, so i guess they will change songs.
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

LeBard

#74 Post by LeBard » 25 Sep 2010 13:22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brnN4RaIYW4
Wheel of Time from Tilburg; the user have more videos from the show too. Sounds bueno, Hansi.
edit: And the set list on this page is missing Time Stand Still, right? It was mentioned one page back.
Last edited by LeBard on 25 Sep 2010 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

TraneDeracs

#75 Post by TraneDeracs » 25 Sep 2010 13:50

No Tanelorn Into the Void? Imaginations from the Other Side? Somewhere Far Beyond? Argh.

I'm not going to lie, I hope the US setlist "improves" slightly being it's such a rarity that they even tour the States here. Not trying to sound like a disgruntled fan, just that these songs are typically the ones I skip on the albums: Lord of the Rings, the Bards Song, Bright Eyes, Mirror Mirror, Another Holy War. Not to mention that there are no filler songs on the AtEoT so I'd LOVE to see more additions from that one.

They can put as many Imaginations songs as they want in there as well.

Gandalf de Grijze

#76 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 25 Sep 2010 14:15

LeBard wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brnN4RaIYW4
Wheel of Time from Tilburg; the user have more videos from the show too. Sounds bueno, Hansi.
edit: And the set list on this page is missing Time Stand Still, right? It was mentioned one page back.
nope.. Time Stands Still wasn't played.

(16 songs in total)

warchanter

#77 Post by warchanter » 25 Sep 2010 14:50

How was Hansi's singing?

Gandalf de Grijze

#78 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 25 Sep 2010 14:58

The things I heard over the crowd-choir (us/them being extremely awesome as well) was very good so...
some real nice screams (just not all of the potential screams)

Andreas

#79 Post by Andreas » 25 Sep 2010 15:48

Gandalf de Grijze wrote: actually, where i was standing the people went crazy..
You were probably in that little group in front, the rest of the hall was almost silent...

teo_guardian

#80 Post by teo_guardian » 25 Sep 2010 15:57

If they started the show without War of wrath then that's a big step for them and a nice surprise...it's god for first gig..
and i think on the others we'll also see more surprises....

don't forget that after so many years they added Blood tears on the setlist...a song we were constantly begging to hear live.

Hylirion

#81 Post by Hylirion » 25 Sep 2010 16:05

Hi, I posted two vids on youtube from the tilburg show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXz-99IpjDk Traveler in Time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlA-mN3dmZY And the Story Ends

It was the first time I saw them live, and thought it was a great show, was really happy to hear old songs like Mirror Mirror and Traveler in Time, though i was expecting they'd play more from the new album. Was hoping for Curse my Name but no luck :)

teo_guardian

#82 Post by teo_guardian » 25 Sep 2010 16:16

wow great videos man!!! too bad you didn't capture the new songs...you got a good sound on where you are standing :-(

i also added you on youtube ;-)

Hylirion

#83 Post by Hylirion » 25 Sep 2010 16:22

Thanks! Yeah retrospectively it's a pitty that I didn't capture any more, but I found it was more difficult to enjoy the songs while holding a phone :? so I only did two of them.

Traveller in Time

#84 Post by Traveller in Time » 25 Sep 2010 16:26

Hylirion wrote:Thanks! Yeah retrospectively it's a pitty that I didn't capture any more, but I found it was more difficult to enjoy the songs while holding a phone :? so I only did two of them.
Indeed, i always wonder why people are filming nearly whole concerts.
On the other side it's fine for me as i know somebody is recording (mostly with better equipment than i have) it, so ican enjoy the show without holding a camera all the time.

The memory remains! :D
Sorry about my bad english, but the good one is on vacation!

bestpike

#85 Post by bestpike » 25 Sep 2010 17:37

The presentation of Wheel of Time was brilliant, with the video wall and all. Great great music/spectacle.
Forever to be free

Cigoth

#86 Post by Cigoth » 25 Sep 2010 23:06

There was a great atmosphere indeed. Time went by incredibly fast. :D
I can't compare it to previous BG concerts because it was my first, but in my opinion it was truly amazing.

After playing Valhalla, Hansi started introducing the next song "This song is about a friend of mine..." so I yelled "Mordred's song!",
but it turned out Sauron is also a good friend of Hansi so they played Lord Of The Rings :P

They also sold nice tour shirts. Here is a picture of the "eternalized" one: http://i53.tinypic.com/o101mr.png

Altogether a great concert. 8)
What started in the underworld,
It should be finished here and now.

bestpike

#87 Post by bestpike » 26 Sep 2010 00:30

Belgium setlist identical to Tilburg's, except having an extra Bright Eyes. Hmmm, weird...
Forever to be free

Edain

#88 Post by Edain » 26 Sep 2010 00:53

Where did you get the Belgium-setlist?

Edit: setlist.fm?
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

bestpike

#89 Post by bestpike » 26 Sep 2010 01:14

Yeah. You can't find it there?
Forever to be free

Led Guardian

#90 Post by Led Guardian » 26 Sep 2010 01:42

Is that accurate? Seems really odd to play almost the exact same setlist 2 shows in a row, nevermind leaving out a song on one of them.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

bestpike

#91 Post by bestpike » 26 Sep 2010 02:18

Yeah seems weird. Although as to this time all the youtube videos uploaded are consistent with this.
Forever to be free

Darth_Amarth

#92 Post by Darth_Amarth » 26 Sep 2010 02:45

Rather disappointing setlist. I mean, only 2 NiME?! No Imaginations? I really hope we get Fëanor in London.

runez

#93 Post by runez » 26 Sep 2010 09:38

They played Imaginations according to setlist fm?

NDS

#94 Post by NDS » 26 Sep 2010 10:14

Yes they did play Imaginations From The Other Side. As far as I remember this should be the correct setlist (as you can find on setlist.fm):

Sacred Worlds
Welcome To Dying
Nightfall
Fly
Another Holy War
Imaginations From The Other Side
Traveler In Time
Valhalla
Lord of the Rings
This Will Never End
A Voice in the Dark
And the Story Ends

Encore:
Punishment Divine
The Bard's Song - In The Forest
Wheel of Time
Mirror Mirror
To the glory of the fucking Underground!

Under ground is where the true artists roam!

Shadow_Zero

#95 Post by Shadow_Zero » 26 Sep 2010 11:52

LeBard wrote:Some quick thoughts because it's really late (or very early, depending on how you see it...) concerning the setlist. I am glad to see Wheel of Time being played, I am really sad to see that ATTWS is out. Also, I can't see a single surprise in this setlist. Traveler in Time is a great song which wasn't played a lot the last main-tour but it's far from a "rare" song. All and all it's basically the setlist from the last tour. Which is, well, disheartening. There should at least be one surprise in there, like Ashes to Ashes. And also; a very short set list, unless I am missing a song? I counted 17 songs at 1:35:19 hours. Well, that isn't really short, it sounded shorter in my head before I calculated the time heh. Not sure if A Twist in the Myth tour was any longer.

Oh well, we'll see how the set list will turn out in the other shows. They have, after all, rehearsed 44 songs or something like that.
They started, in Tilburg, a bit after 21:00 and finished a bit before 23:00. Personally I don't desire Ashes to Ashes and it was ok for me to leave out Into the Storm, Time Stands Still and IFTOS. Well, they have too many cool songs anyway. I'm glad they did Welcome to Dying and Another Holy War. Traveler in Time is always a good one live as well. I've kinda heard Lord of the Rings a bit too much live now, or at least I would prefer A Past and Future Secret or Skalds and Shadows at the moment. Same goes for Bright Eyes. Too bad our chants for Majesty weren't answered :P

@Led Guardian: You made your point (multiple times), now please carry on. Most bands I see always mix their classics with new stuff and that's the way how I like it (and I do think most people).

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:It is hard to please everybody, because everybody wants to hear different songs. And as I said, please take notice it was basically a warm-up for the grand tour. They chose to play it safe, maybe keep teh real surprises for their "home" audience in germany (and the concerts after that).
I recall a warmup show in Rijssen for the Blind Guardian Open Air festival, they played a lot of rare songs back then :P Awesome show! I desire for a bootleg now actually...

Bartn

#96 Post by Bartn » 26 Sep 2010 12:58

saw them last night in Deinze (Belgium). It was my 4th time i've seen them and it never crossed my mind that i would be dissappointed ... but i am. deeply! The "special guest" never came :s (doesn't matter; didn't like 'em). After about 1 hour Hansi announced the end of the show :s
Then when he came back for the encores he said; "For you it might be a pleasure that we came back but for us it is a punishment divine! wtf?! During the second or third song he was talking with a roadie and so he missed a couple of sentences. A couple of songs later he was checking his cellphone, barely making it back in time.
The sound was also not that good; the vocals went up and down and when he screamed a bit louder the sound was too high. During wheel of time there's an instrumental part wich they played a recorded version of and showed a video of a violin. but when i want to see a dvd being played i'll stay at home.

::edit::
and they didn't play bright eyes here

ErHaO

#97 Post by ErHaO » 26 Sep 2010 13:53

I was in 013 Tilburg and the concert absolutely blew my mind. The atmosphere was great and the only song were I didn't hear a lot of people shouting and singing was This Will Never End (still, the song sounded great live! I regard the song as one of the lesser studiotracks from ATITM). Even with the songs from ATEOT, I heard a lot of enthousiasm. Especially Wheel of Time has a lot of potential live! (the chorus works surprisingly well). A voice in the dark and sacred worlds worked very well too. I was somewere in the middle of the hall, standing higher at the stair-like structure. The only complain I have is about the sound itself, the drums were a bit too hard compared to Andre's guitar and the singing of the band. I thought the setlist was great. I was really happy with Fly, Another Holy War, Wheel of Time and Welcome to Dying (those are some of my favourite songs of all time).

_Alimonia_

#98 Post by _Alimonia_ » 26 Sep 2010 13:59

Bartn wrote:saw them last night in Deinze (Belgium). It was my 4th time i've seen them and it never crossed my mind that i would be dissappointed ... but i am. deeply! The "special guest" never came :s (doesn't matter; didn't like 'em). After about 1 hour Hansi announced the end of the show :s
Then when he came back for the encores he said; "For you it might be a pleasure that we came back but for us it is a punishment divine! wtf?! During the second or third song he was talking with a roadie and so he missed a couple of sentences. A couple of songs later he was checking his cellphone, barely making it back in time.
The sound was also not that good; the vocals went up and down and when he screamed a bit louder the sound was too high. During wheel of time there's an instrumental part wich they played a recorded version of and showed a video of a violin. but when i want to see a dvd being played i'll stay at home.

and they didn't play bright eyes here
I was there too. For me it was the third time i've seen them and they never really disappointed me. It's true what you said, there was something "wrong" with the show. The first minutes that i saw Hansi i had the feeling he had not his best day, but that changed during the show. Hansi is never very energetic. His emotions are in his eyes....

I was standing on the 5the row and i had the feeling the crowd wasn't going very wild... There were not so many people who were singing. I must say the ended the show with "and the story ends" and it was like everybody was already asleep. It was not a good song to end the show! Luckily they played the bard's song as bonus!

Wheel of time live was very very cool but i had the feeling no one knew the song :?

I missed the script for my requiem or majesty. For me it was not neceassy to hear "This Will Never End"

The sound was indeed not very good.

It was a good show, but i've seen better!

Bartn

#99 Post by Bartn » 26 Sep 2010 14:06

everyone was idd very silent during and the story ends; but hansi had just announced the end of the show (after barely an hour) so most people around me just stood there; stunned. Everyone was standing there in disbelief. It's not that they didn't know the song; it's just that ...

But the public was idd awfull. When they started with traveler in time; he shouted oohwooohowoooow; i sang the sang once and when i started singing it for the second time (it's always three times then the instruments come in) no one around me was singing along. Apparently i was one of the only ones who knew that. Hansi had to start it 3 (THREE!!!) times before the rest of the audience knew what to sing :s

and last time they were in belgium (hof ter lo) it was only €21. Now it was €29

_Alimonia_

#100 Post by _Alimonia_ » 26 Sep 2010 14:17

Yes i was shocked too that it was already the end of the show! I knew they would play Wheel of time afterwards, but still.... I had the feeling i had missed something. But "and the story ends" is not a great song to end a whole set!

I had always the feeling nobody knew very well the lyrics. Even with the bard's song there were not so many people who were singing it. I know the whole song so i went completely crazy :D

Yes 30 EUR is a lot...and the place wasn't very good (we drove 2 hours!) and then Enforcer didn't come...