Would you like a setlist like this? (Or,"ideal setlists" 3d)

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Orodaran

Would you like a setlist like this? (Or,"ideal setlists" 3d)

#1 Post by Orodaran » 11 Aug 2010 20:09

First of all: feel free to turn this into a "This is my ideal setlist" thread :wink:

This is a "setlist" I came up with while toying around with the idea of a compilation to listen to while going to work; it lasts the time it takes me to go there and back, live with all the pauses and introductions should be a 2 hours set :wink:

While doing my compilations (I enjoy the idea of making them like if they were a live setlist, with encores and all) I like to take into consideration all eras of a band, but liking more and more songs off the new album, I decided to do something more radical, so I came up with this:

01 Sacred Worlds
02 The Curse of Feanor
03 This will Never End
04 Nightfall
05 Tanelorn (Into the Void)
06 Road of No Release
07 Ride into Obsession
08 "A Twist in the Medley"
(a medley of Otherland + Turn the Page + Another Stranger Me)
09 War of the Thrones
10 A Voice in the Dark
11 Wheel of Time
12 Final classic medley:
Imaginations from the Other Side /
Time what is Time /
Traveler in Time /
Valhalla /
Somewhere Far Beyond
================1st encore
13 And then there was Silence
================2nd encore
14 The Bard's Song
15 Mirror Mirror

So, you'd get a new opening song, a couple of old known songs with a BIG surprise in there, and then the vast majority of the new album almost in full, intertwined with a medley of recent songs (I suppose that this medley could be ditched, since there's already This will Never End in the set for ATITM, but the idea to do it came up to me already so I kept it - and I liked the idea of not having older songs played in full). Then you get a medley of fan favorites and old classics (it lasts 10 minutes, all songs last from the beginning until the first chorus while SFB has the final part, 'cause the ending is just great for a live concert), and as encore, first their longest and most monumental song, and then, the two very concert classics BG are famous for.

So: A shitload of songs from the new album and also many recent songs, no song played in full from the first 5 albums (except The Bard's Song but I use for it the re-recorded version), and you still get to hear snippets of classic songs and have the 2 very fan favorite songs at the end. Would you walk away satisfied from the venue?

(As I said before.... feel free to post your ideal setlists too!)
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Skrymir

Re: Would you like a setlist like this? (Or,"ideal setlists"

#2 Post by Skrymir » 12 Aug 2010 03:44

(As I said before.... feel free to post your ideal setlists too!)
Hey, there were threads like this before! Your name is green, you're a mod or something like that! This makes me want to listen to "control the divine". :P

I would like a setlist like that:

Intro: "Hello my loyal servants! Listen, this is for the people of [enter city here]. When the hall is dark, and the bards still didn't enter the stage, just keep in mind: This world is sacred"
Sacred Worlds (without Intro/Outro, doesn't make sense without orchestra)
Majesty
Battlefield
Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns)
Welcome to Dying
A Voice In The Dark
Mordred's Song
Precious Jerusalem
Valhalla
A Past and Future Secret
Ride Into Obsession
Road Of No Release
Bright Eyes
Thorn
The Last Candle

-----

Encore Intro: The Minstrel
The Curse Of Feanor
Wheel of Time (shortend version without orchestra, but it would totally rock with Van Canto as vocal support :<)
Mirror Mirror
The Bard's Song (In the Forest)

Outro (from CD): Curse My Name

That isn't just a list of my favorite BG songs, that would even look a bit different, but I think, a setlist like this could cause the party of the century. Actually I maybe shouldn't have done this, because it would be quite unlikely, that they make a setlist, that I would like more than the one I just imagined. On the other hand exactly this was the aim. -.-
I actually thought about medleys, too, one very classic (first 2 albums) and one Nightfall-medley. But somehow seeing them play just a part of these songs and then change to the next one wouldn't really make me happy.^^
And I thought about ATTWS, because I haven't seen them playing that live before. But actually I think, Sacred Worlds and Wheel Of Time are enough of hardly changed (must be playable live) epic songs.

Sentinel

#3 Post by Sentinel » 12 Aug 2010 08:35

Orodaran wrote: Would you walk away satisfied from the venue?
I don't think I would be disappointed. But since I really don't like medleys (wasted time, which could better be used by playing some really rare classics in full), I wouldn't be THAT much satisfied.
Though I totally agree that a change of setlist would be nice, especially when it comes to BG, your ideas are IMO a little bit too drastic. Having a new album out, doesn't necessarily mean that you have to include ALL the new songs into your setlist. ;)
Free are those who walk away from setting suns
Free are those who laugh at chains that held them bound
Free are those who conquer in vain but won't stop to run
Battered and down you pick up your pieces
To rise as one!

t.a.j.

#4 Post by t.a.j. » 12 Aug 2010 09:11

Sacred Worlds
Welcome to Dying
Time What Is Time
Ride Into Obession
Curse My Name
Another Holy War
A Voice In The Dark
The Bard's Song (In The Forest)
Nightfall
Fly
Battlefield
Somewhere Far Beyond
NO CHILDISH ROCKSTAR BREAK LETTING PEOPLE SHOUT FOR AN ENCORE!
Curse of Feanor
Imaginations From The Other Side
Mirror Mirror

It would habe some surprises (Somewhere Far Beyond and Time What Is Time), two never before played songs (Battlefield and Curse of Feanor), four songs from the new album, including two that are obvious (A Voice In The Dark & Sacred Worlds). I think that Ride Into Obession is a good third choice because it is powerful but not as obvious a live song as Tanelorn. Curse My Name is just in there because I like it so much. No idea if it would work live. Maybe Fred could play the medieval instruments and the roadie drum. ;)
As for the rest, all songs are obvious choices and proven favorites. It might be nice to have Lost In A Twillight Hall instead of or in addition to Welcome To Dying, but I think there would be something missing from a BG concert without "Welcome to the show and Welcome To Dying!"
I tried to go light on Imaginations Stuff, since I felt that that album had a very strong presence on almost all tours since its release and only added Fly from ATITM because ATITM is teh suck.
http://www.gedichtblog.de
They say that there's a broken light for every heart on Broadway.
They say that life's a game, then they take the board away.
They give you masks and costumes and an outline of the story
Then leave you all to improvise their vicious cabaret...

Still the goddamn Batman.

Mackasfour

#5 Post by Mackasfour » 12 Aug 2010 10:10

Orodaran wrote:Would you walk away satisfied from the venue?
Most definitely lol
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

The_Soulforged

#6 Post by The_Soulforged » 12 Aug 2010 10:39

What about this one: (130 minutes, maybe a bit too long..)

1. Sacred Worlds
2. Welcome To Dying
3. Time Stands Still
4. A Voice In The Dark
5. Nightfall
6. Bright Eyes
7. Under The Ice
8. Ride Into Obsession
9. The Curse Of Feanor
10. A Past And Future Secret
11. Tanelorn (Into The Void)
12. Age Of False Innocence
13. Fly
14. Punishment Divine
15. The Bard's Song
16. Lord Of The Rings
17. Valhalla

Encore 1:

18. Somewhere Far Beyond
19. Lost In The Twilight Hall
20. Imaginations From The Other Side

Encore 2:

21. Wheel Of Time
22. And The Story Ends
23. Mirror Mirror
will my weary soul find release for a while, at the moment of death i will smile.

Edain

#7 Post by Edain » 12 Aug 2010 11:26

Wow, a quite difficult decision but I tried to do my best. This one's a good compilation of their whole career since Nightfall with only 4 songs from earlier albums as they have already been played a thousand times. And some never-been-played-live-before-song from every album since Nightfall - those are just too good to be left out.

1. This will never end - starting the show with a big bang and screaming at the top of your lungs
2. I'm Alive - to please the old fans, this will be the only IFTOS-song
3. Ride into obsession - we'll keep up the pace with some new stuff
4. Nightfall - there are bad traditions and good traditions - this is a good one,
5. The minstrel - you know what's gonna happen now?
6. The curse of Feanor - hell, yeah!
7. War of the Thrones - starting the mid of the setlist with a song that leaves you time to breathe
8. Road of no release - again, new stuff, their most beautiful song ever - and it's got that piano outro, what about ...
9. Noldor - next? it's getting heavier, but not yet faster ... again that piano outro, but now
10. Punishment Divine - kicks in, reminding us that they know how to write a good speedy song
11. Quest for Tanelorn - starts immediately without the acoustic intro - at least a second offer for the "old fans", a kickass song with awesome solo
12. Tanelorn (into the void) - one could have expected this. =)
13. Lionheart - already tired? This isn't a real singalong, better just listen to this masterpiece - and the arabic scales might be a hint to
14. Wheel of Time - no orchestral stuff yet? The end of the regular setlist is gonna change this with a sonic boom.

--- 1st encore ---

15. a very well known acoustic chord rings and gives us, what we want: Battlefield
16. And the story ends - I wanted no more IFTOS-stuff, but this is just too good
17. The maiden and the minstrel knight-intro gives Hansi time to say farewell and the evening ends with this gem of a song. And the glorious fake ending.

--- 2nd encore ---

18. The Bards Song - the audience is gonna demand it, the audience is gonna get it (although I wouldn't really need it ...)
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

Gandalf de Grijze

#8 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 12 Aug 2010 14:56

Ok, tried to keep it fairly realistic: generally they play between 18-21 songs live, and are generally playing for about 2 hours and 15 minutes.
Got my list of 19 songs, chosen with realistic chances and some wishes, with a studio playingtime of about 1.59.24

Sacred Worlds, Almost 100% certain to be the opener, if we can believe the interviews.
Banished From Sanctuary, Kickass oldie to start thrashing away
Otherland, Great song from Atitm, played live before and was kickass live
Nightfall, Ok, some traditions are to be kept ;)
Precious Jerusalem, My first "wish", kickass Anato song, and I think it would be awesome to hear it live
Fly, Another proven live song, that I think is great.. VLAAAAA OUT OF THE FRIIIHIIIIDGE.. ehm.. nevermind the alternate lyrics
Curse My Name, light up your lighters, first ballad, we can all scream that our names should be cursed as long as we remember the truth
Theatre Of Pain, I found this song so fucking awesome live back in 2003 and was disappointed it wasn't on the DVD, it should be played more.
The Martyr, I'm tired of Majesty, I think this song is much more awesome from their debut, a good way to thrash down the place again
Bright Eyes, The only Iftos song, because that album really has been overplayed by now, but this is my favorite song from it, so it can get dispensation.
And Then There Was Silence Epic masterpiece with an awesome live rendition
The Bard's Song - In The Forest, Can't be forgotten, though I wouldn't mind trading it for APAFS or HOS
The Curse Of Feanor, We've been waiting for this one (together with battlefield) since 2003, this one was confirmed to have been rehearsed, hence its presence, though i would prefer Battlefield here
Lost In The Twilight Hall, Great titletrack from the first tales
Blood Tears, Still disappointed that they didn't play it live last year in belgium, but at every other festival they did then, my fav nightfall song
Punishment Divine, Awesome live track!
Road Of No Release, One of my favorites from the new album, really growing stronger with every listen
Turn The Page, Closing off with turning the page to the next time..
--Encore--
Wheel Of Time, Or wait.. They rehearsed this epic track as well, why didn't they play it? Because it is an awesome way to come back after a small break! closing off with an epic masterpiece!

If they insist on 2 encores, the first one will start with Road Of No Release.

I think this setlist is both awesome as realistic
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands
Check out my photography at Steemphoto.com

The Rider Of Rohan

#9 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 12 Aug 2010 15:17

Well my ideal setlist would still be the one I posted some weeks ago with the whole NIME-album played. But aside from that, this is my setlist. It's not so much a collection of the best songs, more something like a fanboy's dream.

1. Intro tape: Barbera Ann
2. Sacred Worlds
3. The Curse of Faenor
4. Nightfall
5. A Voice In The Dark
6. Quest For Tanelorn
7. Tanelorn (Into The Void)
8. Born In A Mourning Hall
9. Battlefield
10. Time Stands Still (At The Iron Hill)
11. The Last Candle
12. Brian
13. Acoustic medley: A Past And Future Secret / Lord Of The Rings / War Of The Thrones
14. Valhalla (w Kai Hansen)

Encore 1, with sp. guest Jon Shaffer

15. Heaven Denies
16. Poor Man's Crusade
17. Travel In Stygian

Encore 2

18. And The Story Ends
19,. The Bard's Song
20. Imaginations From The Other Side (w Hansi, Kai Hansen and Jon Shaffer on vox)
21. Outro tape: Harvest Of Sorrow
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

wade-newb

#10 Post by wade-newb » 12 Aug 2010 18:44

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:Ok, tried to keep it fairly realistic: generally they play between 18-21 songs live, and are generally playing for about 2 hours and 15 minutes.
Got my list of 19 songs, chosen with realistic chances and some wishes, with a studio playingtime of about 1.59.24

Sacred Worlds, Almost 100% certain to be the opener, if we can believe the interviews.
Banished From Sanctuary, Kickass oldie to start thrashing away
Otherland, Great song from Atitm, played live before and was kickass live
Nightfall, Ok, some traditions are to be kept ;)
Precious Jerusalem, My first "wish", kickass Anato song, and I think it would be awesome to hear it live
Fly, Another proven live song, that I think is great.. VLAAAAA OUT OF THE FRIIIHIIIIDGE.. ehm.. nevermind the alternate lyrics
Curse My Name, light up your lighters, first ballad, we can all scream that our names should be cursed as long as we remember the truth
Theatre Of Pain, I found this song so fucking awesome live back in 2003 and was disappointed it wasn't on the DVD, it should be played more.
The Martyr, I'm tired of Majesty, I think this song is much more awesome from their debut, a good way to thrash down the place again
Bright Eyes, The only Iftos song, because that album really has been overplayed by now, but this is my favorite song from it, so it can get dispensation.
And Then There Was Silence Epic masterpiece with an awesome live rendition
The Bard's Song - In The Forest, Can't be forgotten, though I wouldn't mind trading it for APAFS or HOS
The Curse Of Feanor, We've been waiting for this one (together with battlefield) since 2003, this one was confirmed to have been rehearsed, hence its presence, though i would prefer Battlefield here
Lost In The Twilight Hall, Great titletrack from the first tales
Blood Tears, Still disappointed that they didn't play it live last year in belgium, but at every other festival they did then, my fav nightfall song
Punishment Divine, Awesome live track!
Road Of No Release, One of my favorites from the new album, really growing stronger with every listen
Turn The Page, Closing off with turning the page to the next time..
--Encore--
Wheel Of Time, Or wait.. They rehearsed this epic track as well, why didn't they play it? Because it is an awesome way to come back after a small break! closing off with an epic masterpiece!

If they insist on 2 encores, the first one will start with Road Of No Release.

I think this setlist is both awesome as realistic
I'm making this as a playlist on my phone now! Thank you!
I can't think of anything clever to put here.

Gandalf de Grijze

#11 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 13 Aug 2010 07:44

yer welcome
Hansi 24-09-2010 wrote:It's always good to be back in the United States Of The Netherlands

drummer88

#12 Post by drummer88 » 13 Aug 2010 09:13

hm these are songs I'd like to hear live...in no order

Majesty
Banished From Sanctuary
The last candle
Somewhere far beyond
Ashes to ashes
Theatre of pain
The hobbit
Quest For Tanelorn
The curse of feanor
A dark passage
When sorrow sang
Thorn
Precious jerusalem
Battlefield
The edge
New Order
Tanelorn (Into the void)
Ride into obesession
A voice in the dark
Wheel of time

hm hard one...I'd like them to play the whole new album...but as we all know they've just reheased 5 of them, so I took all of them into setlist except Sacred Worlds because I've already seen it live ....okay just the Sacred version but it's enough for me to sacrifice it for another song I haven't seen live

Avelar

#13 Post by Avelar » 13 Aug 2010 09:22

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:The Martyr, I'm tired of Majesty, I think this song is much more awesome from their debut, a good way to thrash down the place again
Good choice. The song deserves more praise.

As for my setlist, it is too difficult to select certain songs. I've never been on BG concert and nearly every setlist will satisfy me, because each song will be a new experience and I love all BG songs.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

Alija Vila

#14 Post by Alija Vila » 13 Aug 2010 09:31

Avelar wrote:As for my setlist, it is too difficult to select certain songs. I've never been on BG concert and nearly every setlist will satisfy me, because each song will be a new experience and I love all BG songs.
+1

Blackened

#15 Post by Blackened » 13 Aug 2010 22:22

Everything's great, but please no medleys!!!

Alpha Penguin

#16 Post by Alpha Penguin » 13 Aug 2010 23:25

1. Sacred Worlds
2. Welcome to Dying
3. Ride Into Obsession
4. Fly
5. Somewhere Far Beyond
6. Traveler in Time
7. Curse My Name
8. Imaginations From the Other Side
9. Punishment Divine
10. Wheel of Time
____encore____
11. Into the Storm
12. The Bard's Song (In the Forest)
13. Another Holy War
14. Mirror Mirror
How can we take it away from someone who has no right--no right to control the divine!!

Daggor

#17 Post by Daggor » 14 Aug 2010 00:50

I hope I never have the misfortune of hearing the band try to play ATTWS live.
Sacred Worlds
Tanelorn (Into the Void)
Nightfall
Valhalla
Punishment Divine
Ride Into Obsession
Curse My Name
Lord of the Rings
Imaginations from the Other Side
Fly
The Bard's Song
A Voice in the Dark
Wheel of Time
===
Somewhere Far Beyond
Mirror Mirror

The Rider Of Rohan

#18 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 14 Aug 2010 11:28

I don't really understand the relevance of this remark. I have heard them play this song live on 5 different shows (6 including a rehearsal), and every time they did they gave away a great performance. It's a very complex song on cd, yet the band managed to capture the essence of it. You certainly don't feel like you are missing out on anything.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Hardrocky

#19 Post by Hardrocky » 15 Aug 2010 23:04

I think they should play only 1 or 2 songs from IFTOS since those songs are overplayed and focus on their new album and older more obscure(rarely or never played) stuff.
This would be awesome:
Sacred Worlds
Time what is time
The Curse of Feanor (Its about time! )
War of the Thrones
Wizards Crown (would be cool to hear Hansi sing this awesome song nowadays 8) )
Ride into Obsession
The Hobbit(!!!)
Lost in the twilight Hall
Hall of the King(another suprise:D)
A past and future secret
Quest for Tanelorn
Tanelorn(into the Void)
Blood Tears
Theatre of Pain
Harvest of Sorrow
And the story ends
Wheel of Time

I agree about not playing ATTWS again it is overplayed! :x

somnia

#20 Post by somnia » 21 Aug 2010 18:29

t.a.j. wrote: NO CHILDISH ROCKSTAR BREAK LETTING PEOPLE SHOUT FOR AN ENCORE!
But childish rockstar breaks letting people shout for an encore are awesome. Especially when people sing to the band until they come back for an encore. Most especially when people sing what the band is supposed to play when they are back for an encore.

Yeah. The Bard's Song.
power progressive metal: polimat
game music and soundtrack: dogac yavuz

Orodaran

#21 Post by Orodaran » 21 Aug 2010 18:31

I see the use of an encore useful in the range of choice you can pick for the concert. You can have two closers and two openers, rather than just one per category. For the rest, not everyone believes for a second that when the band leaves the stage that's it. A second encore can be an actual surprise, but the first, come on, it's all part of the show.
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

spamel

#22 Post by spamel » 21 Aug 2010 18:36

You try staying on stage for a few hours without a piss! They have to go to the lav! You know it ain't over until the fat fellah sings The Bards' Song! :wink:
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

zappa

#23 Post by zappa » 22 Aug 2010 00:26

Hey all. I'm semi-new here (had an account way back in 2003 but it got deleted apparently). And now for my contribution to this setlist thing.

01 Sacred (beats Into the Storm as an intro imo, and...)

02-12 NiME, the whole album (...that's in here anyway!)

13 IFTOS

14 Bard's Song

15 This Will Never End

16 Last Candle

-maybe an encore in here-

17 ATTWS

---

Now who can guess what BG album I like the most :roll: ?

Turambar

#24 Post by Turambar » 22 Aug 2010 15:50

Id love to hear Trial by the Archon/Wizards Crown live. Totally love that song.

Thoreg

#25 Post by Thoreg » 22 Aug 2010 16:19

Some days ago I made my own version, so I take the chance here to share it. There are too many songs, but I couldn't resist. :D

1 Sacred Worlds
2 Banished From Sanctuary
3 Mordred's Song
4 Tanelorn (Into The Void)
5 Punishment Divine
6 The Script For My Requiem
7 Nightfall
8 Soulforged
9 Curse My Name
10 Lost In The Twilight Hall
11 Fly
12 Goodbye My Friend
13 The Piper's Calling
14 Somewhere Far Beyond
15 A Voice In The Dark
16 The Bard's Song - In The Forest
17 The Bard's Song - The Hobbit
18 Majesty
19 Valhalla
20 Ride Into Obsession
21 Precious Jerusalem
22 A Past And Future Secret
23 Valkyries
24 This Will Never End
25 The Curse Of Feanor
26 Control The Divine
27 The Last Candle
28 Mirror Mirror

For Fun:
29 You're The Voice

Outro:
30 Wheel Of Time
So many centuries
So many Gods
We were the prisoners
Of our own fantasy

Daggor

#26 Post by Daggor » 24 Aug 2010 06:15

The Rider Of Rohan wrote:
I don't really understand the relevance of this remark. I have heard them play this song live on 5 different shows (6 including a rehearsal), and every time they did they gave away a great performance. It's a very complex song on cd, yet the band managed to capture the essence of it. You certainly don't feel like you are missing out on anything.
The version from ITTLG was embarrassing. The song relies far too much on vocal layering and orchestration to be played live without leaving out 60% of the music.

Gandalf de Grijze

#27 Post by Gandalf de Grijze » 24 Aug 2010 12:41

you are probably one of the few who actually think that that version was embarrassing. To me that song was one of the highlights of the dvd and the two BGOA shows, if only due to the fact that they transformed an awesome studio song into an awesome live song without losing the epic feeling I get.

Mackasfour

#28 Post by Mackasfour » 24 Aug 2010 14:21

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:you are probably one of the few who actually think that that version was embarrassing. To me that song was one of the highlights of the dvd and the two BGOA shows, if only due to the fact that they transformed an awesome studio song into an awesome live song without losing the epic feeling I get.
+1, they did an AMAZING job to turn that into a live version. I actually prefer it because of the live atmosphere ontop of the Epic value of that masterpiece!
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Drex

#29 Post by Drex » 24 Aug 2010 16:04

+2, but I don't prefer it to the studio version. It kind of bothers me that they cut it a little short, too. But it was a very good recreation of the song and I hope they play it when I finally get to see them.

Alija Vila

#30 Post by Alija Vila » 28 Aug 2010 16:59

As I already said, I never had a chance to be on Guardian concert, so question for experienced fans - Would you like to hear Dead Sound of Misery live? I guess that would be quite a surprise.

Sorry for going oftopic here, I just felt that the question does not deserve its own topic.

Thoreg

#31 Post by Thoreg » 28 Aug 2010 18:23

Alija Vila wrote:As I already said, I never had a chance to be on Guardian concert, so question for experienced fans - Would you like to hear Dead Sound of Misery live? I guess that would be quite a surprise.

Sorry for going oftopic here, I just felt that the question does not deserve its own topic.
"Leave me behiiind..." Yes, it would be great! ;)
So many centuries
So many Gods
We were the prisoners
Of our own fantasy

Orodaran

#32 Post by Orodaran » 29 Aug 2010 11:42

Alija Vila wrote:Would you like to hear Dead Sound of Misery live?
No.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Daggor

#33 Post by Daggor » 29 Aug 2010 18:12

Gandalf de Grijze wrote:you are probably one of the few who actually think that that version was embarrassing. To me that song was one of the highlights of the dvd and the two BGOA shows, if only due to the fact that they transformed an awesome studio song into an awesome live song without losing the epic feeling I get.
Some parts of that song work well enough in the live environment, but when the song gets really epic and heavy, the live version just falters. Even the first line of the song, "TURN YOUR HEAD AND SEE THE FIELDS OF FLAME", sounds pathetic live compared to studio. There are points where, without the additional layers, the song lets up, almost seems to drag, and with a song like that, you absolutely cannot have that.

Mahoora

#34 Post by Mahoora » 31 Aug 2010 01:14

My dream set list would be:

Sacred Worlds
Ride into Obsession
Battlefield
Nightfall
Fly
Curse my Name
Valkyries
Valhalla
Theater of Pain
Under the Ice
The Edge
TFTTW medely (Traveller in Time+Welcome to Dying+Lost in the Tiwilight Hall)
Another Stranger Me
War of the Thrones (single version)
Majesy
SFB medely (Time what is Time+Journey Through the Dark+Somewhere)
And Then There Was Silence
IFTOS medely (Imaginations+Bright Eyes+Born in a Mourning Hall)
A Voice in the dark
Mirror Mirror

Encore:
Wheel of time
All those plans and hopes and dreams what happens to them? it's only a handfull of the lucky ones who can look back and say that they even came close.
You can't take it with you. act III,scene I

jophelerks

#35 Post by jophelerks » 31 Aug 2010 01:48

Hmm, I suppose I'll give this a go...

Time What is Time - still think this is one of the best openers ever
Into the Storm
Nightfall
Battlefield
I'm Alive
War of the Thrones
Ride into Obsession
Banish from Sanctuary
Majesty
Thorn
Valkyries
When Sorrow Sang
This Will Never End
Somewhere Far Beyond

Encore:
And The Story Ends
Dead Sound of Misery
Wheel of Time

LeBard

#36 Post by LeBard » 31 Aug 2010 02:32

Quick and dirty, I tried to be realistic (1.8 hours of songs):

Sacred Worlds - The obvious opener.
The Curse of Feanor - Something new, something old, something from the first age in Arda. It would be a great, early surprise.
Ride into Obsession - They also have a new album out that needs exposure.
Fly - Personally I'd love to forget A Twist in the Myth, but this could be played live. It works well in that environment.
Time Stand Still - It's a classic, for a reason.
A Voice in the Dark - The new single needs to be played.
Time what is Time - This hasn't been played a lot the last couple of years, right? A great song, it should reappear.
The Last Candle - Same as above, I loved it at BGOA.
Lost in the Twilight Hall - I'm actually tired of this song, but I have never heard it live so...
The Bard Song (In the forrest) - The live staple, can't live without it.
The Bard Song (The goddamn hobbit) - OMG yes.
Somewhere Far Beyond - Needs to be played live, worked so well at BGOA.
Traveller in Time - Love the beginning.
Valhalla - overplayed, for a reason.

And then there was Silence - Blind Guardian is all about being epic.
Wheel of Time - And more epic.
Mirror Mirror - but they are also about traditional metal!

Would love to see this set list with some modifications. I picked 1 song from Twist, 1 song from ANATO (it's so long), then I picked 3 songs from Tales and 3 from Nightfall, 4 from Somewhere and 1 from Follow the Blind.

I guess the setlist needs at least one Imagination song too (And the story Ends, perhaps?), but I'm pretty sick of that album. Great as it is, it's been played Live. A lot.