Favorite moments and details of At the Edge of Time

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
Orodaran

Favorite moments and details of At the Edge of Time

#1 Post by Orodaran » 08 Aug 2010 12:58

Here's a thread to collect our specific moments (be them guitar leads, vocal passages, lyrics or whatever) from the album, now that we're starting to hear it enough times to dissect it in every detail 8)

I'll start out with some vocal passages that I love so much at each listening....

From Tanelorn:

"Here on my own I've built a pyre, oh, fire, here on my own I've wasted life so weak"... this bridge is awesome!

From Road of No Release:

The fox passage, the one that goes "When you walk down you may not find relief, will you go down there? I wonder, wonder why", and then the chorus starts.... pure bliss!!!

From Valkyries:

The intro! "To the gods of the north, I pray"... so solemn and majestic (also when the song kicks in and goes "Rain, red blood keeps pouring down" almost makes you visualize it)

From Control the Divine:

"First among equals, we're bound to no law; there's no one before us, ethereal sons"... I like this passage quite a lot...
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

Andreas

Re: Favorite moments and details of At the Edge of Time

#2 Post by Andreas » 08 Aug 2010 13:08

I love the part in A Voice in the Dark when the background vocalists go "Come spread your wings, awake now"

Mackasfour

#3 Post by Mackasfour » 08 Aug 2010 13:13

Orodaran wrote: From Valkyries:

The intro! "To the gods of the north, I pray"... so solemn and majestic (also when the song kicks in and goes "Rain, red blood keeps pouring down" almost makes you visualize it)

From Control the Divine:

"First among equals, we're bound to no law; there's no one before us, ethereal sons"... I like this passage quite a lot...
I agree with these 2. Along with the part in Road of No Release, "There's something, there's someone, it ain't over now. The void there's more to it". In Wheel of Time the part, "I'm in flames cause I have touched the light, it pulls me so". I find the harmony of Vocals and instruments in both these parts pure AWESOME for me :P
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Orodaran

#4 Post by Orodaran » 08 Aug 2010 13:34

Mackasfour wrote:In Wheel of Time the part, "I'm in flames cause I have touched the light, it pulls me so".
THIS!!!!!!!
"There's a time when a man needs to fight and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny's lost, the ship has sailed and that only a fool will continue. The truth is I've always been a fool"
~~~~~~~~~~~~
A slight call afar is tempting me, like a whisper sweet or an awful scream; I cannot ignore what I've always been, I'm leaving again - one last time? in my little kingdom I can be what I really wanted to be... The wanderer

----------------------
BG news (if you're lazy to check the site) :: You're on Facebook? Look at my photos from concerts, travels and more :: Oh, and since you're at it, check my photos also on 500px

majesty

#5 Post by majesty » 08 Aug 2010 14:28

Ride Into Obsession: in the chorus when the choir sings: "The wheel will turn now" and Hansi sings in a lower voice "the wheel will turn" over it. I love that part :D

Wheel of Time: this part: "Light - it binds me. Light - it blinds me. Light it finds me. light denies me now!" This scream in the last sentence is so evil :twisted:
The Lights are up,
Now let the play begin!

*Why save the world when you can rule it? And why touch the ground when you can fly away to dreams...?*

bestpike

#6 Post by bestpike » 08 Aug 2010 14:41

Agree with almost all of these and I would like to add the screams in the 'into the fire' parts of Tanelorn, and All hail Stormbringer. Also the part of avitd before and after the 'There will be no savior' part. Finally in Curse my Name 'Providence brought him straight into our hands' gives me chills, which doesn't happen to me very often nowadays. There are many more that i'm sure someone else will mention.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

ent

#7 Post by ent » 08 Aug 2010 14:43

These parts are very good:

Sacred world-I know I will not fail There'll be War It's now or never We shall stand together One by one This world is sacred I'm coming home

Road of no release-I will find you Slipping away I'll bind you Still I conquer the world Ohh! Take him away... Ohh!...hansi scream amazing

Ride into obsession-Let ages come and go The wheel will turn now The wheel will turn Another ride into obsession

Wheel Of Time-instrumental in the middle is great, as a preparation before the storm.

there are lots more but there would be singled out this :D
CROATIAN BARD

Blind Guardian Croatian Bards
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Blind-Gua ... 0227785608

majesty

#8 Post by majesty » 08 Aug 2010 14:47

Almost at the end of Sacred Worlds: "I spread my wings but keep on falling, I should have known, I can see it coming, the war is over, there´s whispering in the wind, JUST LET ME OUT OF HERE!"
Awesome! :D
The Lights are up,
Now let the play begin!

*Why save the world when you can rule it? And why touch the ground when you can fly away to dreams...?*

Maglor's Fate

#9 Post by Maglor's Fate » 08 Aug 2010 15:09

Favourite parts:

Sacred worlds- the "i know i will not fail" line
Tanelorn- last part of the chorus " the dawn comes crushing down" and the " all hail stormbringer".
Road of no release- i like very much the "necromancer" lines
Ride into obssession- bridge "and forever and ever" and chorus
Valkyries- intro (all of us like it i think),
Control the divine- bridge and chorus
Voice in the Dark - "they send a sign..." pre-chorus part

Though like every bg album it is full of interesting parts.

Skrymir

#10 Post by Skrymir » 08 Aug 2010 15:19

Additional (I agree on most parts that were mentioned): The Road Of No Release Intro! :D

And this "Shayol Ghul"-part in Wheel Of Time after the first and last complete chorus (or the second time of both repeated parts however) is totally epic.

Edit: @The_Soulforged: How was your reaction when you realised they removed your favorite part from the song for the video? xD
Last edited by Skrymir on 08 Aug 2010 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

The_Soulforged

#11 Post by The_Soulforged » 08 Aug 2010 15:28

"you're trapped in my mind - ask for the key"
will my weary soul find release for a while, at the moment of death i will smile.

sharpened_graphite

#12 Post by sharpened_graphite » 08 Aug 2010 15:34

Agree on all of the above. :D

Have to add the "I cannot heal your fear and doubts THE VOID IT WAITS FOR US! Still after all the ghosts are howling..." and "There's nothing more to say and no more games to play, to play..." parts of Road of No Release. I think that as far as emotional impact goes this song is up there with "And Then There Was Silence". It's definitely a masterpiece.

Lilyael

#13 Post by Lilyael » 09 Aug 2010 00:16

er......all of it?

Be easier to ask about the LEAST favourite parts :mrgreen:
.......and you deserve us, Leviathan

Andreas

#14 Post by Andreas » 09 Aug 2010 00:38

That's easy: the end.

Alija Vila

#15 Post by Alija Vila » 09 Aug 2010 08:54

It's prone to changes, but here are the favorite details from each song at the moment...

Sacred Worlds

- intro, especially the choir
- Watch me, I will rise, time to reveal now I know I will not fail anymore

Tanelorn (Into The Void)

- solo
- screams in Crush another tower grind the universe bridge
- ending of last chorus

Road of No Release

- necromancer's lines
- chorus

Ride Into Obsession

- first verse
- bridge

Curse My Name

- instrumental interlude
- ending

Valkyries

- intro

Control the Divine

- Still I claim to be the chosen one and still I claim this is rebellion rising!
- double chorus in the end

War of the Thrones

- Will you walk with me any further, there at world's end it's me, I sing. I cannot escape it seems, sadly I sing + chorus
- ending

A Voice in the Dark

- They send a sign when dead winter will come again, there from the ruins I will rise...
- I can foresee all the pain they are about to creep in "Curse me, hate me, hurt me, kill me” oh they will rest no longer

Wheel of Time

- Wheel of time, save my soul, find a way...
- The young man said "I will never give up", the inner war I can hold against it, my mind, my mind, my mind's in darkness

I hope I didn't miss something big.

Gawain

#16 Post by Gawain » 10 Aug 2010 12:26

There are quite a lot of them...

Best moments:
- The guitar solo in Sacred Worlds. Sounds like IFTOS
- The choir in the middle of Curse My Name

- Some of the best lines ever written by the bards:
Shine on
Embrace and deny me
Turn on, wheel of time
Shine on
you've burnt me, now guide me
Weave on, wheel of time

Can't wait to hear Hansi sing these lines live..
ra me nivar wrote:Truth, fog and balrog wings will prevail
ANTON MAIDEN FOREVER!

Dornick

#17 Post by Dornick » 10 Aug 2010 12:31

my favorite part is easily the first 1 minute of Valkyries. An instant orgasm kill is what I goes beyond that minute, except the other parts on the song where the gitars do the same as in the intro, and bridge and chours, but it's full of fillers.

Edain

#18 Post by Edain » 10 Aug 2010 13:12

Well, there are so many on this album, so I'll keep it short and keep it simple:

Sacred worlds: The chorus. It's just so incredible great beyond any way of expression.

Tanelorn: Crush another tower, grind the universe. I mentioned it already, but here again: there's this calm part and suddenly Hansi sounds like all furies coming down on you.

Road of no release: Second verse, when he sings "When death and life collide" I'm just melting - the "Can't remember it all"-part afterwards is also pure Blind Guardian-greatness.

Ride into obsession: The battle rages on and forever and ever the wheel will turn - I love how his voice is almost cracking because that part is so over-the-top. :)

Unfortunately I have to leave now, perhaps later more.
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

Verruckter

#19 Post by Verruckter » 10 Aug 2010 16:28

Ride Into Obsession: All these dying men try to understand, they all follow the SIGN!

Valkyries: The part where Hansi goes "There is no way to survive this bitter Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!" and then his voice just goes higher while an overdub sings another line... MAGICAL!

Voice in the Dark: I can foresee all the pain they are about to creep in, “Curse me, hate me, hurt me, kill me” Oh they will rest no longer “Paralyzed and frozen, Free your mind, You're broken, Paralyzed and frozen, Learn to roam, Don't look back

The solo section of Wheel of Time is amazing, so many things going on. Great playing by our two (often forgotten) guitarists!

Also I might add the drumming in this album is absolutely fantastic. Fred definitely proved himself worthy, the fills are at times powerful, at times proggy, never excessive nor superfluous, and the overall performance is diverse and never monotonous. Great job!

PS Is it me or does Hansi's voice, in Valkyries, sound kind of weird when he says "pouring" (Rain, red blood keeps pouring down)

Dornick

#20 Post by Dornick » 10 Aug 2010 16:45

Verruckter wrote:Ride Into Obsession:
Valkyries: The part where Hansi goes "There is no way to survive this bitter Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!" and then his voice just goes higher while an overdub sings another line... MAGICAL!

If it weren't for some sections on this song, it would be the best on the album! This part (along with the intro) are the most epic and mindblowing moments of the album IMHO.

OMG I forgot this...it even scares me:

Still I claim to be the chosen one and
Still I claim
This is rebellion rising

Evil Peter

#21 Post by Evil Peter » 10 Aug 2010 19:05

I can agree with a lot of what's already said but when it comes to Valkyries I have to say that I find the outro even better than the intro.

"And finally I hear them say. Carry on. For Valhalla awaits you" (plus the guitars before that) I find that to be one of the most emotional things BG has put out.

The album is littered with awesome parts though so it's just an amazing time getting to know all the details of it.
Win if you can, lose if you must, but always cheat.

Precurser

#22 Post by Precurser » 10 Aug 2010 22:21

WoT - "I'm the dragon reborn! And in madness i soon shall prevail!" and then the whole "Twice I'll be marked and twice I shall live etc" parts I really like.

Oh yea, and the "Once again i will bring down the mountain!" part
You just looked at my signature.

drummer88

#23 Post by drummer88 » 11 Aug 2010 09:15

tanelorn : the part where Hansi sings ,, Here on my own I build a fire of fire, here on my own I'm wasting life so weak''

road of no release: -the best note Hansi has ever sung is the word <collide> in the line ,, when death and life COLLIDE...'' ....the way he sings this word is so fucking intense...but the whole line is killer ending with ,, ...I hear an ancient song''
-the drums in the solo at when Fred starts to play the doublebass .....what a cool moment when the pressure is rising because of his drum pattern ( the part from 4:12 onward)

ride into obessesion: when Hansi sings ,, I am reborn''

Valkyries: The Intro and Outro are some of the best parts on the whole album.....and the second verse where he sings ,,Follow the ligh, the light''

Voice in the dark: the first bridge and of course the chorus is beyond anything

Wheel Of Time: the part when Hansi starts singing right after the orchestral passage and of course the last three choruses

Edain

#24 Post by Edain » 11 Aug 2010 23:29

road of no release: -the best note Hansi has ever sung is the word <collide> in the line ,, when death and life COLLIDE...'' ....the way he sings this word is so fucking intense...but the whole line is killer ending with ,, ...I hear an ancient song''
Wholeheartedly agree about that one, that single line "When death and life collide" is so incredibly beautiful ... :)
"Edis Rehto Eht Morf Snoitanigami!"

Sentinel

#25 Post by Sentinel » 12 Aug 2010 08:36

Nice topic. :)
Oh, there are just so many! I will post a detailed list, when I'm home from work.
Free are those who walk away from setting suns
Free are those who laugh at chains that held them bound
Free are those who conquer in vain but won't stop to run
Battered and down you pick up your pieces
To rise as one!

hoggroth02

#26 Post by hoggroth02 » 12 Aug 2010 15:40

bestpike wrote:Agree with almost all of these and I would like to add the screams in the 'into the fire' parts of Tanelorn, and All hail Stormbringer. Also the part of avitd before and after the 'There will be no savior' part. Finally in Curse my Name 'Providence brought him straight into our hands' gives me chills, which doesn't happen to me very often nowadays. There are many more that i'm sure someone else will mention.
in particular the scream parts from Tanelorn are awesome---can Hansi will Hansi Please Hansi do the scream in live shows!!! 8)
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains. The stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
DUNE

Avelar

#27 Post by Avelar » 12 Aug 2010 21:29

Intro to Sacred Worlds all the way to "The realm's bleeding". Then solo with inclusions of backing vocals that starts at 5:33.

Tanelorn (Into The Void): guitar in "My locked up asylum ..." part.

Transition from quite to loud in the beginning of Road Of No Release.

Flute and tap dancing in Curse My Name.

Drums near 0:18 in A Voice In The Dark. And "The descending ends ... I'm facing ground".
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

spamel

#28 Post by spamel » 12 Aug 2010 22:03

I hear, regularly, small riffs from older songs. I don't know if they got there without any thought on it or if they are paying homage to their old stuff but it is quite cool. I think this album flows quite nicely on from Night at the Opera, they are cut from the same cloth IMO. I liked ANATO, although it seems that is a running joke and not many people do. Well, it worked for me and so does the new album. I listened to it all morning over and over, but Curse my Name has to be my number one right now. I really liked the demo version too!
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

bestpike

#29 Post by bestpike » 13 Aug 2010 01:39

hoggroth02 wrote: in particular the scream parts from Tanelorn are awesome---can Hansi will Hansi Please Hansi do the scream in live shows!!! 8)
The tanelorn screams are so awesome, they destroy my vocal cords the most when singing along. It must be the song where the screams play the most important role in a BG song.
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Alpha Penguin

#30 Post by Alpha Penguin » 13 Aug 2010 23:28

I think it's cool how in Ride Into Obsession in the quiet part after the first chorus they reuse and alter the riff from Into the Storm (you know, "How I need it, how I need it, how I neeed it!!")

And in Control the Divine they reuse and alter a bit of Bright Eyes.

Stylistically this album is fantastic, too many great little moments to name! :D
How can we take it away from someone who has no right--no right to control the divine!!

Andreas

#31 Post by Andreas » 13 Aug 2010 23:47

I'm actually highly into the chorus of Valkyries.

Cigoth

#32 Post by Cigoth » 14 Aug 2010 01:19

I just realised how awesome the part in AVitD starting from "On stunning fields of mayhem, I will find no release" is. Pure passion 8)
What started in the underworld,
It should be finished here and now.

MarchOfTime

#33 Post by MarchOfTime » 14 Aug 2010 07:02

I don't think its been said yet so.....

The part in Wheel of Time Right after Hansi shouts "Light Denies Me!" and the guitar kicks in.

First time i heard it, I actually smiled. It's that good.
Bow down in the platinum maze
Twilight cathedrals spread the system plague
Forging sacred thrones in the void unseen
Merciless judgement in the church of the machine

Orodaran

#34 Post by Orodaran » 14 Aug 2010 11:23

Cigoth wrote:I just realised how awesome the part in AVitD starting from "On stunning fields of mayhem, I will find no release" is. Pure passion 8)
And also "It's just a dream I wish that I could tell you" :twisted:

Then starts the bridge that generates tension, and the chorus explodes.... whoah!
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Orodaran

#35 Post by Orodaran » 15 Aug 2010 11:29

Edain wrote:Ride into obsession: The battle rages on and forever and ever the wheel will turn - I love how his voice is almost cracking because that part is so over-the-top. :)
Yeah, hearing this song right now, this part is wickedly awesome :twisted:

Also "Through the flames you'll see me; you'll be mine, believe me" 8)
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Dornick

#36 Post by Dornick » 17 Aug 2010 13:07

MarchOfTime wrote:I don't think its been said yet so.....

The part in Wheel of Time Right after Hansi shouts "Light Denies Me!" and the guitar kicks in.

Nobody said it indeed, and I also think is one of the most mind-blowing moments on the album.

Notkingjustbard

#37 Post by Notkingjustbard » 17 Aug 2010 14:15

In control the divine :

"Stay silent until the end of the world, so just as slaves we may deem him dead silence until the end of the world !"

and :

"I can feel your hallowed rage, now enter my realm !"

In War of the Thrones :

"Will it ever end ? Will I find what I'm longing for ? Will I ever walk out of shadows so grey ?
I'm condemned I am hallowed ! Icy fields they won't hurt anymore !
Will you walk with me any further ? There at world's end it's me, I sing !!!"

The whole first verse of Ride Into Obsession.
Dornick wrote:
MarchOfTime wrote:I don't think its been said yet so.....

Nobody said it indeed, and I also think is one of the most mind-blowing moments on the album.
And that too !

prongs

#38 Post by prongs » 18 Aug 2010 13:33

Sacred Worlds: "Then after all I sense the end is starting These lunatics deny the truth"

"I’m bleeding I’m fading Here in my final hour When long-lost memories return And a voice keeps calling “All dead and gone”

Tanelorn: "Here on my own, I've built a pyre. Oh, fire here on my own, I've wasted live,So weak."

Road of no release: "I know they're out there,play hide and seek,watching,my love is wasted"

"I'll find you slipping away, I'll bind you. Still I conquer the world, take him away."

Ride into obsession
: "It's a cycle's end There's no hope For a while From the ashes arise Can't save her Enjoy the flames So precious, so pure And you try You're sure to fail And madness Is the price you've to pay"

Voice in the dark
: "I can foresee all the pain They are about to creep in “Curse me, hate me, hurt me, kill me” Oh they will rest no longer “Paralyzed and frozen Free your mind You’re broken Paralyzed and frozen Learn to roam Don’t look back”

Curse my name: "We all know he's guilty as charged By punishment due to his crime We sacrifice the wicked king Acknowledged by scriptures and law"

Control the divine
: "Cause I am hell and hell is me "

"Still I claim to be the chosen one and Still I claim This is rebellion rising First amongst equals We're bound to no law There's no one before us Ethereal sons Now disobey Awake and arise You'll be free"

War of the thrones
: "Will it ever end? Will I find what I'm longing for? Will I ever walk out of shadows so grey? I'm condemned, I am hallowed Icy fields they won't hurt anymore"

"Will I ever learn from the past? Will I fade away? Will I ever stay where the shadows will grow? There is luck at the gallows I will free my mind Soon it will show"

Valkyries: "To the gods of the north I pray And raise my cup for the fallen ones Then I cry In Valhalla they'll sing"

"Still blood will rain Through storm and fire Let war winds reign It's the feast for the crows"

Wheel of time: "I'm in flames Cause I have touched the light"

"The young man said "I will never give up" The inner war I can hold against it My mind, my mind My mind's in darkness The young man says "I will never give in" The prophecy Behold it's true I conquer the flameTo release the insane I'm crying I cannot erase I'm the dragon reborn And in madness I soon shall prevail Twice I'll be marked and Twice I shall live The heron sets my path And name me true Twice I'll be marked and Twice I shall die My memory's gone But twice I pay the price"
Ladies!!!!!!!....please avert your eyes....I've been known to hypnotise....

Orodaran

#39 Post by Orodaran » 18 Aug 2010 19:54

Damn, prongs, I basically agree with everything you posted :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~

----------------------

Herr Inoddorell

#40 Post by Herr Inoddorell » 18 Aug 2010 20:01

The whole album itself is a great moment full of details in the BG discography. This is the album of the year by far for me, or maybe the decade!!

Avelar

#41 Post by Avelar » 18 Aug 2010 21:50

Herr Inoddorell wrote:This is the album of the year by far for me, or maybe the decade!!
Or maybe the life :wink:
For me it may become a true.
Just keep in mind, this world is sacred.

prongs

#42 Post by prongs » 19 Aug 2010 14:44

Orodaran wrote:Damn, prongs, I basically agree with everything you posted :D
Don't worry, that's because I'm always right :twisted:
Ladies!!!!!!!....please avert your eyes....I've been known to hypnotise....

Notkingjustbard

#43 Post by Notkingjustbard » 19 Aug 2010 18:08

prongs wrote:
Orodaran wrote:Damn, prongs, I basically agree with everything you posted :D
Don't worry, that's because I'm always right :twisted:
You can't go wrong with Blind Guardian anyway ^^