Official "At the Edge of Time" topic

All talk about Blind Guardian, including discussion about tour dates, etc.
tigs6969

Official "At the Edge of Time" topic

#1 Post by tigs6969 » 27 Jul 2010 09:12

as the album is out there, for all the people who have listened to it, be it leak, or LEGAL BUY as it may be out in various countries... dont forget it was meant to be out 23rd july here in australia, or even reviewers. leave all thoughts and fave songs etc here
so far im upto curse my name. taking a few listens to get into everything as i do but so far ride into obsession is the song that really hit me hard.
loving the flutes in curse my name though!

Precurser

Re: offical at the edge of time topic

#2 Post by Precurser » 27 Jul 2010 09:15

The slow parts of Ride into Obsession remind me so much of Lionheart from ATiTM...

Also, Curse my Name is probably the most hardcore epic song ever made.. and it's not even a metal song.
You just looked at my signature.

tigs6969

#3 Post by tigs6969 » 27 Jul 2010 09:25

man control the divine sounds so much like a NIME outtake with a touch of anato

Daggor

#4 Post by Daggor » 27 Jul 2010 09:46

I still haven't quite gotten over how awesome "The Wheel of Time Is", let alone the rest of the album. I'm on my 7th listen or so.

tigs6969

#5 Post by tigs6969 » 27 Jul 2010 14:12

DONT POST BULLSHIT IN MY TOPIC YOU FUCKING CUNT
anyway, 3 listens in and first off its not as good as anato but nothing is. i have 11 308 albums that are not as good as anato.
but anyway im loving it! pure awesome blind guardian
i like the acoustic version of war of the thrones better than the piano as i felt the guitar had more voice than the piano and it sounded faster sort of
loving every song yet i still havent full gotten into tanelorn...
best song is ride into obsession so far.
well another 200 listens tomorrow :P

tigs6969

#6 Post by tigs6969 » 27 Jul 2010 14:14

also i pity the people on the train tomorrow morning cause i fear i might break out into sacred worlds chorus... im not joking

tigs6969

#7 Post by tigs6969 » 27 Jul 2010 14:36

oh and its tied first place with avantasias double album... though i love bg i think avantasias doubles were better. tobias just fucking went ott with emotion and genius and the guests with those 2 albums.

Madookaboo

#8 Post by Madookaboo » 27 Jul 2010 15:03

THEEEEEE WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL OOOOOOOFFFFFF TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMEEEEEEEEEEE

somnia

#9 Post by somnia » 27 Jul 2010 17:35

after one spin, my thoughts are clear:

ME WANTS ORCHASTRAL POREJECT, NAO!
power progressive metal: polimat
game music and soundtrack: dogac yavuz

Feanor l'invincible

#10 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 27 Jul 2010 17:45

Is andré actually sweeping in "Ride Into Obsession" :shock:
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

Verruckter

#11 Post by Verruckter » 27 Jul 2010 17:48

First listen. Here we gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Feanor l'invincible

#12 Post by Feanor l'invincible » 27 Jul 2010 19:15

After my first listening , here is my opinion :

1 - Road Of No Release (Best chorus, best feeling, Great transitions , PROG !!)
2 - Ride Into Obsession (Speedy , Catchy , Melodic.. like it a lot !!)
3 - Wheel Of Time (Not as I predicted it will be , but I was surprised by many things)
4 - Sacred Worlds (POWEEEERRR ORCHESTRAL GENRE? Greaaat song)
5 - Tanelorn (The Agressive song.. with hansi's high notes..)
6 - A Voice In The Dark (Catchy Chorus , A song to introduce you to the album.. )
7 - War Of The Thrones (I don't like it , I prefer the Acoustic one)
8 - Control The Divine (Have to give a few more listenings..)
9 - Curse My Name (The middle of the song has no importance..)
10 - Valkyries (ANATO style , I don't like it , even ANATO songs are better , hope a few more listenings could change my mind)

That's my first impressions , I'm sure that many things are about to change tomorrow haha !!
THE CURSE OF FEANOR RUNS LONG!

spamel

#13 Post by spamel » 27 Jul 2010 19:30

@The Bards: Some of us are remaining faithful and waiting until you wanted us to hear the album and ignoring the braggng and links posted. Sorry some people come onto YOUR forum boasting about how they are listening to rip offs of your music, it must piss you off because it does me. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!
My mother in law is a Balrog, and I'm telling you, she has wings!

bestpike

#14 Post by bestpike » 27 Jul 2010 19:36

tigs6969 wrote: anyway, 3 listens in and first off its not as good as anato but nothing is
Isn't it a bit soon to declare which is better with 3 listens? :O
Now I'm riding through the air
Going to where no one dares
On the way I cross the line forevermore.
For once in life, I do not care
Nothing matters, now I dare
On the ride I'll cross the line
Forever to be free

Zecharas

#15 Post by Zecharas » 27 Jul 2010 19:49

Feanor l'invincible wrote: 9 - Curse My Name (The middle of the song has no importance..)
Really? That's the biggest goosebump factor on the album!

I'll rank like you (they are all great songs, it was hard to rank them in the end, and it will probably change).

1. Wheel of Time - Very catchy song, beautiful as well. The orchestra is outstanding! I almost want it to be much longer.
2. Ride Into Obsession - This one's catchy all around. Fast, melodic and I love Hansi's vocals.
3. Curse My Name - I love this song and the part in the middle is the biggest goosebump factor on the album for me. Love how it builds at the end.
4. Sacred Worlds - Believe it or not, this got 10x better and even more epic. The orchestra is perfect on it, especially the intro/outro.
5. A Voice in the Dark - You all know it.
6. Valkyries - This one may be hard to get into for some, but a bonus for me is that I love the lyrical content. This one also gave me a high goosebump factor. Quite complex.
7. Tanelorn (Into the Void) - Very powerful, fast song. I love it, it never slows down!
8. Road of No Release - For me, this one is epic but harder for me to get into. I love the piano intro and the build up. Great chorus as well.
9. War of the Thrones - I'm debating on which version is better as they both have their ups and downs. I honestly am leaning towards this piano version.
10. Control the Divine - My "least" favorite of the album, but again, not a bad song at all. I love the melodies in there but have not gotten into it yet. Give it time.
I am the one, I am the one, the god-like terror train

Discordant

#16 Post by Discordant » 27 Jul 2010 21:48

Hello! New to this board, long time Blind Guardian (& Demons & Wizards/Hansi) fan since 1999. Just heard the new album and just had to find a place to express my thoughts on it, so here I am and here's my thoughts about the songs =

01. Sacred Worlds
- Awesome epic opener! Most have heard it already, the extra intro & outro adds to the epicness & awesomeness to this mid-tempo track that im not afraid to compare to the last mid-tempo opener "Imaginations From The Other Side". A truly awesome track and an awesome way to open this album!
10/10

02. Tanelorn
- I love this track! Awesome riffs, godly vocal performace by Hansi & so many little outstanding parts here & there (1min part & 2:35min "deceiver" part for example). All Hail Stormbringer!
10/10

03. Road Of No Return
- If I would pick one track to represent the whole album it would be this one. It got the avarage tempo & the (above) avarage awesomeness. Don't really want to say more than that exept its also just a amazing song!
10/10

04. Ride Into Obsession
- This is a track that will probably be a fan-favorite. But personally far from a album-favorite. Vocaly it could stand to be abit less bombastic (less layers) for my taste. But its just a minor issue for me still, great track!
8/10

05. Curse My Name
- I always love Blind Guardians ballads. And this is no exeption. I love the addition of the flute, and I love this song!
9/10

06. Valkyries
- From the samples I thought it would be a disapointment, and it still is my least favorite from the album so far. Not too far from something out of ATITM. But still a very good track IMO.
7/10

07. Control The Divine
- Probably not gonna be regarded as more then "avarage" by the fans, but personally I like this one alot! Represents modern BG in a very good way!
8/10

08. War Of The Thrones
- Loved the acustic version! And I love this piano version! Since this album already got "Curse My Name" I find the piano very refreshing to this great track.
8/10

09. A Voice In The Dark
- The track we all probably heard already, awesome riffs, awesome vocals, awesome track. THIS is what I love about Blind Guardian. Enough said.
10/10

10. Wheel Of Time
- For you who haven't heard it, im not gonna spoil more then just saying its one of the greatest Blind Guardian songs of all time! I was actually laughing in joy the first time I heard this, amazing song!!
10+/10

Im sure that with time I will regard this album just as good & classic as SFB, IFTOS & NIME. And I hope most will agree with me.

All Hail Blind Guardian!

Blackened

#17 Post by Blackened » 27 Jul 2010 21:54

tigs6969 wrote:oh and its tied first place with avantasias double album... though i love bg i think avantasias doubles were better. tobias just fucking went ott with emotion and genius and the guests with those 2 albums.
In my opinion those Avantasia albums were really boring with the exception
of "The wicked symphony" (track, not album!). Nevertheless this Tobias guy
is quite entertaining...saw him with Edguy opening for the Scorpions 2 months ago...

The Rider Of Rohan

#18 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 27 Jul 2010 22:16

Well, so far I like it. It seems like a very versatile album, more so than the last too. I don't know yet where it stands compared to the pre-ANATO-material, but I like what I have heard so far.
spamel wrote:@The Bards: Some of us are remaining faithful and waiting until you wanted us to hear the album and ignoring the braggng and links posted. Sorry some people come onto YOUR forum boasting about how they are listening to rip offs of your music, it must piss you off because it does me. I'm sure it'll be worth the wait!
Forum rules says it's okay to talk about the album, as long as you don't post any links to it.
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.

Precurser

#19 Post by Precurser » 27 Jul 2010 22:31

Am I the only one who feels like the slow parts of Ride into Obsession sound similar to Lionheart?

Cerbere

#20 Post by Cerbere » 27 Jul 2010 22:38

Fuck you all.

Precurser

#21 Post by Precurser » 27 Jul 2010 22:54

Cerbere wrote:Fuck you all.
When and where man.

tigs6969

#22 Post by tigs6969 » 27 Jul 2010 22:54

so far today has been
wake up
take a shower
listen to ATEOT
breakfast comes later

tigs6969

#23 Post by tigs6969 » 27 Jul 2010 22:55

Precurser wrote:
Cerbere wrote:Fuck you all.
When and where man.
an orgy? will we be listening to ATEOT during this orgy?

Precurser

#24 Post by Precurser » 27 Jul 2010 22:55

tigs6969 wrote:so far today has been
wake up
take a shower
listen to ATEOT
breakfast comes later
I was listening to Ride into Obsession while showering ;)

sharpened_graphite

#25 Post by sharpened_graphite » 27 Jul 2010 22:56

Precurser wrote:Am I the only one who feels like the slow parts of Ride into Obsession sound similar to Lionheart?
Errr... Not really, Lionheart has a more mediterranean/middle-eastern vibe and is much more dense and melancholy.

I have serious trouble ranking the songs and picking favourites, this is definitely an album as good as NiME and ANATO. Have to put a word for "Valkyries" and "Control the Divine" though, since they seem to the two most underappreciated songs on the album and they're both absolutely brilliant. Especially "Control the Divine" (perhaps the best intro on the album and great interplay between harsh vocals and medieval-ish acoustic guitars).

tigs6969

#26 Post by tigs6969 » 27 Jul 2010 22:59

Precurser wrote:
tigs6969 wrote:so far today has been
wake up
take a shower
listen to ATEOT
breakfast comes later
I was listening to Ride into Obsession while showering ;)
6am i showered. family wouldve complained about the music as they are still sleeping and the whole neighbourhood wouldve woken up with the volume id put it at :)

Precurser

#27 Post by Precurser » 27 Jul 2010 23:00

sharpened_graphite wrote:
Precurser wrote:Am I the only one who feels like the slow parts of Ride into Obsession sound similar to Lionheart?
Errr... Not really, Lionheart has a more mediterranean/middle-eastern vibe and is much more dense and melancholy.

Oops, maybe i should specify. It reminds me of the solo. and right after the solo where the song becomes very dark.

The part where you hear "tick tock tick tock". For some reason, the slow parts of Ride into Obsession just sound really similar to me.

tigs6969

#28 Post by tigs6969 » 27 Jul 2010 23:04

THE WHEEEEEEEL WILL TURN

sharpened_graphite

#29 Post by sharpened_graphite » 27 Jul 2010 23:18

Precurser wrote:
sharpened_graphite wrote:

Oops, maybe i should specify. It reminds me of the solo. and right after the solo where the song becomes very dark.

The part where you hear "tick tock tick tock". For some reason, the slow parts of Ride into Obsession just sound really similar to me.
Actually, now that you mention it the choral singing after the "All the dying men tried to understand" part is kind of reminiscent (and there are some slight Middle-Eastern-ish notes in the Ride Into Obsession solo as well, and thorought the album if it comes to that (not to mention "Wheel of Time of course)). :D

"Ride Into Obsession" is proof that a song can be both extremely complex vocal-wise and still catchy as hell.

"And over and over and over again
There is no beginning no end"

This part is epic, as well as the "Call me the Father of Lies..." bit. :twisted:

tigs6969

#30 Post by tigs6969 » 27 Jul 2010 23:20

YOU WILL NEVER BE ALONE

Cigoth

#31 Post by Cigoth » 28 Jul 2010 01:48

I hear a lot of good things about Wheel of Time.
Would anyone say it's better than AttwS?
What started in the underworld,
It should be finished here and now.

sharpened_graphite

#32 Post by sharpened_graphite » 28 Jul 2010 02:11

It's different. Closer to "Script for My Requiem". I would say it doesn't quite have the narrative and emotional impact of ATTWS, but it still is a brilliant song (really think more along the lines of "Script" and "Time Stands Still" but more elaborate, orchestral and with a very epic and exotic middle eastern vibe).

Daggor

#33 Post by Daggor » 28 Jul 2010 03:07

Cigoth wrote:I hear a lot of good things about Wheel of Time.
Yes. I would.

Verruckter

#34 Post by Verruckter » 28 Jul 2010 03:36

It's too soon for me to say which one is better.

The problem with this album is not the songs themselves, it's the emotional attachment I have towards all the other CDs. Every other album is intimately linked with memories that I have and everytime I listen to them I remember those things, and it's part of the pleasure of listening. ATEOT doesn't have that yet, and I can't compare the actual pleasure of the music to the goodness of memories.

PS Am I the only one that thinks that Road of No Release resembles Noldor at some parts? It even has the same piano part at the end.

bestpike

#35 Post by bestpike » 28 Jul 2010 04:48

Cigoth wrote:I hear a lot of good things about Wheel of Time.
I would say Attws is better, but that would be unfair, I listened to Wheel of time 4 times and Attws 400
Forever to be free

Sleepflower

#36 Post by Sleepflower » 28 Jul 2010 11:41

The ending of Road of no Release must be a flirt with good ol Noldor :)

Valkyries is my favorite so far :D
The intro is amazingly epic. And the chorus is very powerful.

thesuicider

#37 Post by thesuicider » 28 Jul 2010 12:16

At the Edge of Time is simply monumental. Every track is stupendous.Guys give it a few more spins and you'll realize the same.BG are on top of the game with this release.

DReffects

#38 Post by DReffects » 28 Jul 2010 12:28

This is simply epic.

Wheel of time alone makes the album. Can't wait to turn up the volume but the cleaning lady is still here and giving me strange looks :/
There is still soup left.

DReffects

#39 Post by DReffects » 28 Jul 2010 12:37

WUHAHAHAHAHAHA

she just came up to me and asked what sort of music this is. i told her that's a german metal band and she responded "sounds great"

cleaning lady ftw!
There is still soup left.

DREAMASTER

#40 Post by DREAMASTER » 28 Jul 2010 14:14

Yesterday I listened to the all album and I can say that this is their best album since Nightfall. Very very good !

:mrgreen:
Behold the sword of power... Excalibur
Forged when the world was young
and bird and beast and flower were one with Man,
and Death was but a DREAM!!!

bestpike

#41 Post by bestpike » 28 Jul 2010 15:59

I have a problem with Wheel of Time. I can't swallow the fact that there is a 1,5 minute part in the middle of the song where basically there is no metal or vocals at all, just some nice instrumental stuff. I mean, how do you take part in this part of the song. You can't headbang to it, you can't sing along (as there are no lyrics). Am i supposed to enjoy the purely orchestral instruments like I like the classic Blind Guardian metal? The biggest problem is that it's in the middle of the song and that it has no strong melody either, its just kinda peaceful instrumental orchestral part. How exactly do you feel during that part?
Forever to be free

DREAMASTER

#42 Post by DREAMASTER » 28 Jul 2010 16:11

I feel great. It creates a great mood.

A great way to close the album.
Behold the sword of power... Excalibur
Forged when the world was young
and bird and beast and flower were one with Man,
and Death was but a DREAM!!!

somnia

#43 Post by somnia » 28 Jul 2010 16:24

bestpike wrote:I have a problem with Wheel of Time. I can't swallow the fact that there is a 1,5 minute part in the middle of the song where basically there is no metal or vocals at all, just some nice instrumental stuff. I mean, how do you take part in this part of the song. You can't headbang to it, you can't sing along (as there are no lyrics). Am i supposed to enjoy the purely orchestral instruments like I like the classic Blind Guardian metal? The biggest problem is that it's in the middle of the song and that it has no strong melody either, its just kinda peaceful instrumental orchestral part. How exactly do you feel during that part?
Sublime.

Of course it's not concert material, it won't make 2000 fans go wild, but it's nevertheless a great experience with all the goosebumps it creates, the atmosphere, and the magnificent preparation for what comes next.
power progressive metal: polimat
game music and soundtrack: dogac yavuz

bestpike

#44 Post by bestpike » 28 Jul 2010 16:36

somnia wrote: Sublime.

Of course it's not concert material, it won't make 2000 fans go wild, but it's nevertheless a great experience with all the goosebumps it creates, the atmosphere, and the magnificent preparation for what comes next.
I don't really know if I will get to like the whole song, but I'm fearing maybe the song is asking too much of me to actually love 1.5min of quiet orchestral instruments that have nothing to do with metal in the middle of a metal song. I'm just saying what I think right now, its not criticism. Too early for that. Goosebumps you say? I probably need something more loud and powerful than this to get them I'm afraid, like the part with the trumpets in 1:26. That part is fucking divine indeed.
Forever to be free

Fragon

#45 Post by Fragon » 28 Jul 2010 16:37

bestpike wrote:I have a problem with Wheel of Time. I can't swallow the fact that there is a 1,5 minute part in the middle of the song where basically there is no metal or vocals at all, just some nice instrumental stuff. I mean, how do you take part in this part of the song. You can't headbang to it, you can't sing along (as there are no lyrics). Am i supposed to enjoy the purely orchestral instruments like I like the classic Blind Guardian metal? The biggest problem is that it's in the middle of the song and that it has no strong melody either, its just kinda peaceful instrumental orchestral part. How exactly do you feel during that part?
i don't think WoT would be as awesome as it is now without this orchestral part! it sets the whole atmosphere.
Aselwindeor , The Noldo Ranger

Daggor

Re: offical at the edge of time The

#46 Post by Daggor » 28 Jul 2010 17:05

It's called tension. The Calm before the storm.

drummer88

#47 Post by drummer88 » 28 Jul 2010 17:22

bestpike's comment reminds me of a comment posted in a manowar forum.....after the last EP was released someone complained about the constant doublebass in the heavy songs...the answer from one of the members was; ,,Well, the main thing is that it's banging all the time'' ...my first thought was, well this person (politly expressed) doesn't know at all what metal is about

of course no offense here, but I don't see why people, who just want to listen to constantly agressive metal, are listening to Blind Guardian at all?

bestpike

#48 Post by bestpike » 28 Jul 2010 21:54

drummer88 wrote:bestpike's comment reminds me of a comment posted in a manowar forum.....after the last EP was released someone complained about the constant doublebass in the heavy songs...the answer from one of the members was; ,,Well, the main thing is that it's banging all the time'' ...my first thought was, well this person (politly expressed) doesn't know at all what metal is about

of course no offense here, but I don't see why people, who just want to listen to constantly agressive metal, are listening to Blind Guardian at all?
The problem with the song isn't that it isn't constantly agressive. It's that on the middle of the song, there is a very calm part with not too heavy melodies and no vocal lines. Blind Guardian love to stuff their songs with vocals (And then there was silence and basically almost every song they made), and that's why I love the band. This 1.5 minute, which isn't an intro or outro, is just let's say hard for me to appreciate with what I have learned to like the last 10 years with Blind Guardian. There is something similar on Curse my name with the tapdancing in the middle, but this is better, as the song itself is ballad-like so it's integrated better than Wot which is generally a loud and powerful song except that part where very little is going on. If that calm part was shorter and vocals started earlier I think it would have been much easier for me to like. I will say again that it's very soon yet, I haven't listened to the song many times, just wanted to see how other people feel about that specific part of the song.
Forever to be free

drummer88

#49 Post by drummer88 » 29 Jul 2010 17:48

now after I've listend three times to the album all I can see is; UNBELIEVABLE.....this album is a pure masterpiece....there is not one single song I do not like....Wheel of Time is a killer (just much too short^^)....curse my name I guess is the best powerballad they've ever written...the middle part is pure magic.....the choir in the beginning of sacred world gives you goosebumbs all over your body....ride into obsession is brutal...so many turns and great ideas (but also a bit too short for all those cool songparts^^)....there so much more to write...but unfortunatly I've to conectrate on university stuff as I will write a test tomorrow.... :-(

The Rider Of Rohan

#50 Post by The Rider Of Rohan » 29 Jul 2010 17:50

page. 8)
spamel wrote:
Sleeping Dragon wrote:i just don't understand what's so wrong with being a woman...
Periods.