Dragon Aaaaaage!

Discuss everything about books, movies, games, and other art forms/media here.
Palantyre

Dragon Aaaaaage!

#1 Post by Palantyre » 27 Nov 2009 02:18

So, anyone else here played Dragon Age yet? (I'll be highly surprised and disappointed if not. ;p )

I have to say Bioware still miserably fails to disappoint, Dragon Age is yet another superb rpg. And I mean superb even by Bioware standards.
And not only that, it does what it promised: It clearly pays hommage to the Baldur's Gate series, and is generally a nice breath of fresh air from the past, when games gripped the player with depth, story, challenge and gameplay instead of shiny graphics.

And by challenge I really mean challenge; The battles in Dragon Age are several notches more difficult than is the trend nowadays.
I frequently get the floor wiped with me, often by just a bunch of regular enemies. And every time, I still get the feeling it was not just the game being an ass, it was because I was careless, that I have to try harder and pay more attention.

So while most games today just let you coast through without much thought, Dragon Age really challenges you and at the same time rewards you for your efforts; by thinking a little bit and using some tactics, you can beat your enemies just as swiftly and decisively as they beat you on your previous attempt. I find this fantastic.

And then there's the storytelling. Sure, the premise is nothing original, with that old "An ancient evil is rising and only YOU and your group can stop it" angle. But the way the story is presented, it just picks you up and whisks you away.

While I am used to Bioware rpgs having interesting NPCs, in Dragon Age they have truly outdone themselves. In addition to the dialogue being superbly written, all the voice actors fit their characters perfectly and sound very convincing and believeable. And in no game before this have I heard the more dramatic and intense lines delivered with such emotion and sincerity, without even a hint of overacting.

And the characters themselves are also interesting and, for the first time in any computer rpg ever, none of the recruitable NPCs feels annoying or boring, even those representing archetypes that have typically grated on my nerves;
A female rogue without a squeaky voice and overtly perky attitude? Historical.
The virtuous warrior actually has a sense of humour? Yes, and is genuinely one of the funniest persons in the group.
The wisened old mage actually feels caring and motherly, instead of just preaching for the sake of being a pain in the hindquarters.

Anyways, I could go on about how brilliant this game is, but I think this post is long enough as it is, and I still have plenty of darkspawn to kill. So I'll just go back to my second playthrough of the game now.
And The Lord said unto John: 'Come forth and receive eternal life'.
But John came fifth, and won a toaster.

power_dysfunction

Re: Dragon Aaaaaage!

#2 Post by power_dysfunction » 27 Nov 2009 08:20

Palantyre wrote:While I am used to Bioware rpgs having interesting NPCs, in Dragon Age they have truly outdone themselves. In addition to the dialogue being superbly written, all the voice actors fit their characters perfectly and sound very convincing and believeable. And in no game before this have I heard the more dramatic and intense lines delivered with such emotion and sincerity, without even a hint of overacting.
Agreed, I was floored by the story and acting. I'm greatly enjoying it.
Though the towers of the city are denied to we men of clay
still we know we shall scale the heights some day.
Frightened in the silence -
frightened, but thinking very hard,
let us make computations of the stars.

PsychoDantis

#3 Post by PsychoDantis » 27 Nov 2009 15:56

I think it's really good, though I enjoyed The Witcher more.

Cerbere

#4 Post by Cerbere » 27 Nov 2009 21:59

I want it so badly

Led Guardian

#5 Post by Led Guardian » 03 Dec 2009 08:36

Getting it for Christmas. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT.
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Palantyre

#6 Post by Palantyre » 03 Dec 2009 21:55

Merry Christmas then, but don't miss your New Year party playing Dragon Age. Or do, I know I would. :lol:

Pathfinder

#7 Post by Pathfinder » 05 Dec 2009 21:13

I played it, and finished it, just wasn't coming around here for a while...I was busy. :p

Anyway, the game really is fantastic. I don't care a lot about fighting and gameplay ( I care, but not too much), though I'm mostly interested in story and other characters, conversations with them, and their stories. And, BioWare truly delivered this time (like every other time). The game is really brilliant, and I thoroughly enjoyed playing it...though, I'm still hoping to see Morrigan in the second part. :D

lord of the west

#8 Post by lord of the west » 06 Dec 2009 08:14

Great game!! Probably the best rpg that i've played in a while. Does anyone know about the secret character in the game?

Mackasfour

#9 Post by Mackasfour » 24 Dec 2009 14:27

Gonna be grabbing it after Christmas, played it at a mates, absoloutely brilliant! What Race/Class/Origin you guys go?

I think I'm gonna have to go Elf/Mage/Magi
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Pathfinder

#10 Post by Pathfinder » 24 Dec 2009 18:28

I played as a human noble, rogue/ Ranger and Duelist.

Cerbere

#11 Post by Cerbere » 31 Dec 2009 22:20

These are getting more and more confusing :|

Led Guardian

#12 Post by Led Guardian » 06 Jan 2010 00:35

I cannot stop playing. Often literally. I've been averaging 4 or so hours a day as my Elven Mage (Arcane Warrior Specialization). Kicking ass if I say so myself. My character has almost half of party kills with 360ish. :shock: Oh yeah, and I'm playing on Nightmare. :mrgreen: This game is absolutely worth every penny (or would have been if it hadn't been a gift and I'd actually spent money on it).
'Nowhere has this renunciation of man's transience been more joyous or uplifting than in the medium of airport carpets.'

Cerbere

#13 Post by Cerbere » 09 Jan 2010 04:37

I got it recently, it's one of the few rpgs that doesn't have horrible voice acting haha. I am playing as a human warrior/noble. The mabari is awesome

Led Guardian

#14 Post by Led Guardian » 11 Jan 2010 19:21

Cerbere wrote:I got it recently, it's one of the few rpgs that doesn't have horrible voice acting haha. I am playing as a human warrior/noble. The mabari is awesome
I named mine Huan. :mrgreen:

DiehardBGfan

#15 Post by DiehardBGfan » 16 Jan 2010 14:29

I'm playing it atm, its a very good game with a good story.

Cerbere

#16 Post by Cerbere » 16 Jan 2010 19:46

Led Guardian wrote:
Cerbere wrote:I got it recently, it's one of the few rpgs that doesn't have horrible voice acting haha. I am playing as a human warrior/noble. The mabari is awesome
I named mine Huan. :mrgreen:
Mines named Dalnok which means bard in some language

Palantyre

#17 Post by Palantyre » 17 Jan 2010 01:54

I can't for the life of me remember what I named the dog on my first playthrough.

On the second I thought of naming him Baskerville, but that would've been too cheesy so I shortened it to Skerville.

Pathfinder

#18 Post by Pathfinder » 18 Jan 2010 16:54

I remembered how I named mine, Harks. Don't know why but I like to give that name to my animal companions in games. :)

Cerbere

#19 Post by Cerbere » 20 Jan 2010 04:45

Mine is named Fidofolis

Led Guardian

#20 Post by Led Guardian » 30 Jan 2010 19:27

Finished Nightmare after about 102 hrs. :D The final boss was strangely easy. I actually think I could have soloed it with my character. Overall, a very good game. It's funny, I see complaints about the number of conversations and cutscenes, and desires for more action, but I found myself at certain parts (the big battle at the end and the Orzammar section) wishing that I didn't have to grind through so many enemies that I knew I could beat. At times during those parts I wanted to tear my hair out every time I took a step and found another group of enemies. Main changes I would have made would have been to cut out a couple areas in the final battle and in the Deep Roads (and reduced the number of enemies in it). Can't wait for the expansion in March to continue the adventures of my main character! Arcane Warriors kick such a ridiculous amount of ass.

(And I better get my equipment. I hate it when games strip you at the beginning of the sequel. I have the best equipment there is, and I want to keep it. :evil: )

Pathfinder

#21 Post by Pathfinder » 30 Jan 2010 21:34

Now I know for sure what you meant. :)

It is really annoying when you lose all of your great equipment, but I kind of like the beginnings, when you don't have anything, and you're happy when you get some completely silly gear. :)

Led Guardian

#22 Post by Led Guardian » 31 Jan 2010 00:18

Pathfinder wrote:Now I know for sure what you meant. :)

It is really annoying when you lose all of your great equipment, but I kind of like the beginnings, when you don't have anything, and you're happy when you get some completely silly gear. :)
That's fine for a game that takes place at the beginning of a story, but the expansion pack will be a sequel with the option to import your characters from Origins, so as a hardened adventurer I would not be happy with silly gear. :) (Especially considering that my character is equipped with over 300 gold worth of stuff :shock: :mrgreen: )

Palantyre

#23 Post by Palantyre » 31 Jan 2010 20:02

That reminds me of a small, but yet very nice thing that pleases me in Dragon Age:
A single gold piece is actually a notable sum of money, and not a pittance that doesn't even buy you a pint of ale. It adds a nice little touch of realism.

Pathfinder

#24 Post by Pathfinder » 31 Jan 2010 21:44

Led Guardian wrote:
Pathfinder wrote:Now I know for sure what you meant. :)

That's fine for a game that takes place at the beginning of a story, but the expansion pack will be a sequel with the option to import your characters from Origins, so as a hardened adventurer I would not be happy with silly gear. :) (Especially considering that my character is equipped with over 300 gold worth of stuff :shock: :mrgreen: )
Understood. :) Though, when I start to play any expansion I lose the feeling that I play with the same character, because of the break you make until the release of expansion, and I have the feeling that I missed the beginning. :D

@Palantyre: Agreed. It was always such a stupidity to carry with you amount of couple of hundreds of thousands gold pieces with you. I mean, where would you put all of that? I imagine you backpack wouldn't be enough for that. :D Though, if it is big enough for two great swords, one great axe, longsword...etc., I guess you can squeeze in some gold pieces as well. :D

Cerbere

#25 Post by Cerbere » 01 Feb 2010 17:56

Yes, I have yet to play a game that explains the huge amount of stuff you can carry.

Palantyre

#26 Post by Palantyre » 01 Feb 2010 19:08

Well, I wasn't really referring to carrying truckloads of coins (although I admit it is kinda silly when you think about it).
I meant that in reality, gold coins are supposed to be valuable as hell. They're GOLD, ffs.
So while I suppose it could be explained by gold being far more common in the average fantasy world than it is on Earth, I still think it feels more sensible that with fifty gold coins, you buy a friggin' bakery instead of just one loaf of bread.

Pathfinder

#27 Post by Pathfinder » 02 Feb 2010 21:43

I know what you meant, it is just connected. Cause, if you don't need 10,000 gold pieces, but let's say 100, for some sword, you wouldn't have to carry that much gold in the first place. It would be too much to let player have millions of gold pieces, if prices are far cheaper.

I hope this is comprehendable. :D

power_dysfunction

#28 Post by power_dysfunction » 04 Feb 2010 07:43

I put Dragon Age aside. I had to do it.

Because Mass Effect 2 is out, and rocking my world.

Pathfinder

#29 Post by Pathfinder » 04 Feb 2010 13:28

Lucky you. :)

I have a problem with that, because my desktop computer is too weak for ME 2, and mz laptop, which is better in lot of aspects than my desktop, doesn't have a good video card. :(

So, ME 2 will have to wait until I improve my computer...

Led Guardian

#30 Post by Led Guardian » 04 Feb 2010 21:43

Pathfinder wrote:Lucky you. :)

I have a problem with that, because my desktop computer is too weak for ME 2, and mz laptop, which is better in lot of aspects than my desktop, doesn't have a good video card. :(

So, ME 2 will have to wait until I improve my computer...
But it has lower requirements than Dragon Age, I think. :?
Anyway, I might play it eventually, but right now I'm more interested in the upcoming DA expansion pack. I'd rather spend my money on that.

Palantyre

#31 Post by Palantyre » 04 Feb 2010 22:15

Yeah, I don't have a superpowerful computer either, and Mass Effect runs really smoothly with just about maximum settings. Maybe even a little better than the first part, or at the very least just as well. So if your laptop is running Dragon Age okay, I think you should give ME2 a chance.

I'm on my second playthrough at the moment, should we make a Mass Effect 2 topic? :P

Pathfinder

#32 Post by Pathfinder » 05 Feb 2010 18:13

I tried ME, first part, on my laptop, and I couldn't start it. When I start the game, nothing happens. I don't think that ME 2 would work then. :)

And the difference is that Dragon Age is built to work on graphic cards that don't support 3.0 pixel shaders, and ME needs graphic card with those shaders. Also, I'm quite sure that my built in graphic card, on my laptop, isn't stron enough to support 3.0 pixel shaders.

power_dysfunction

#33 Post by power_dysfunction » 05 Feb 2010 21:41

Led Guardian wrote:But it has lower requirements than Dragon Age, I think. :?
Really? Because ME2 has MUCH better visuals. I love Dragon Age to death, but the graphics are pretty dated.

Led Guardian

#34 Post by Led Guardian » 06 Feb 2010 00:53

power_dysfunction wrote:
Led Guardian wrote:But it has lower requirements than Dragon Age, I think. :?
Really? Because ME2 has MUCH better visuals. I love Dragon Age to death, but the graphics are pretty dated.
So I hear, but set on high they look damn good to me. :) Then again the last PC games I played were the NWN games. And ME2 needs .2 GHz more for recommended settings, but graphics reqs look equal and DA:O needs more RAM.

power_dysfunction

#35 Post by power_dysfunction » 10 Feb 2010 05:06

Palantyre wrote:Yeah, I don't have a superpowerful computer either, and Mass Effect runs really smoothly with just about maximum settings. Maybe even a little better than the first part, or at the very least just as well. So if your laptop is running Dragon Age okay, I think you should give ME2 a chance.

I'm on my second playthrough at the moment, should we make a Mass Effect 2 topic? :P
Sure why not, I wanna know how things turned out in you guys' games.

Mandarb

#36 Post by Mandarb » 12 Mar 2010 12:52

Playing it, loving it, particularly loved the part where I found this nice and inviting camp site... :)

Only gripes I have: why can you collect like just about 2 kinds of herbs with some couple special plants strapped in, and you never find enough of it anyways to supply your needs, and you're basically dependant on those traders that sell unlimited amounts of flasks, elfroot and that dust. And I need tons of potions. Really, lots of them ^^

Oh, and I love it when I can't play the game that I paid for because the bioware server is down. Damn, it's not "Dragon Age: Online"...

Also, couldn't decide wether to date Morrigan or Leilana, but then I made Morrigan an Arcane Warrior and now she looks so hot in her elven armor :oops:
A guinness a day keeps the doctor away!

He is not drunk who from the floor can rise again and drink some more. But he is drunk who prostrate lies and cannot drink and cannot rise.

Cerbere

#37 Post by Cerbere » 13 Mar 2010 02:52

I'm doing Morrigan

Mackasfour

#38 Post by Mackasfour » 13 Mar 2010 03:23

I could never be bothered to go with the relationships, instead, just throw em a bone whenever they got shirty with me. May go through and take my time with everything again :P
"How easily the mind can be turned to hate from a place of fear - an instinctive, natural, protective response. Instead of focusing on the things that unite us, we focus on what divides us."

Palantyre

#39 Post by Palantyre » 13 Mar 2010 20:21

I had hot lesbian sex with Leliana.

Well my character did, not I.

Cerbere

#40 Post by Cerbere » 14 Mar 2010 19:46

Wow haha can you have romance with a guy?

Palantyre

#41 Post by Palantyre » 14 Mar 2010 21:04

Yes, Zevran swings both ways. Regardless of race. So yes, you can actually have dwarf/elf gay sex in the game.

Cerbere

#42 Post by Cerbere » 15 Mar 2010 01:48

Whoa, can you have more than one romance

Palantyre

#43 Post by Palantyre » 15 Mar 2010 02:34

Not really. You can have several "in the works" but in the end it will be brought up in dialogue and you'll have to choose one. At least in principle, dunno if there are some glitches or loopholes you could exploit.

Cerbere

#44 Post by Cerbere » 15 Mar 2010 02:35

Oh darn, but I don't even have Leliana yet

Palantyre

#45 Post by Palantyre » 15 Mar 2010 02:51

Cerbere wrote:Oh darn, but I don't even have Leliana yet
Really? Because if you're "doing Morrigan" you must be already well past the point to recruit her, since she's encountered in Lothering.
Unless you meant you're going to do Morrigan. :P

Cerbere

#46 Post by Cerbere » 15 Mar 2010 03:07

Nah I am, but can I go back? I'm in Getting the Anvil of the Void right now

Palantyre

#47 Post by Palantyre » 15 Mar 2010 03:22

Nope, you can't go back to Lothering once you complete one of the four main story quests available after Lothering. And unfortunately you won't meet her later on either, [spoiler] because she supposedly dies with the rest of the town when it gets destroyed by the darkspawn. [/spoiler]

Pretty harsh maybe, but that's what you get for just zooming through without proper exploration. :mrgreen:

Mackasfour

#48 Post by Mackasfour » 15 Mar 2010 10:09

Can't quite remember, she that priest chick?

Palantyre

#49 Post by Palantyre » 15 Mar 2010 17:45

Well, she does believe in the Maker and wears a Chantry robe when you meet her, but she's not really a priest.

Mackasfour

#50 Post by Mackasfour » 16 Mar 2010 07:56

Close enough, couldn't remember her